Advice on a petrol mower

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Dougy, May 5, 2012.

1. Dougy

Dougy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, my cheapy petrol lawn mower has finally died on me after 7 good years of service so I need a little advice on what to buy next. The attached image is my back garden which I would say the grass area is about the size of a tennis court. I have been looking at a Honda HRG415PD 16" Izy Push Mower which I can purchase locally for £265 after a cashback from Honda. Is this a good mower and a good deal, or can anyone recommend something else around the £250ish mark. Please help. gardeners corner lawnmower.jpg Thanx, Dougy

2. alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,073
    Hi Dougy, first off, welcome to GC. Lots of knowledgable and friendly folk here who are always ready with advice and guidance. Your garden certainly looks very nice, I do like the hedge with the doorway. - Now your question about the mower, to be honest if you were happy with your previous 'cheapy' mower, why not replace with the same, after all 7 years performance is not too bad really. My last petrol mower gave me 10 years service and I mow my own garden and several of my (more elderly than me) neighbours gardens. - We do have a couple of mower experts in the Forum, so no doubt they will be along with advice soon.

a-a

3. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    I use many mowers, as I often use what the client ownes

if you don't mind electric, the Bocsh Rotak 40 is a bargain .... £135 and even picks up grass in pouring rain .... and it even does decent stripes
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004GTMN...nd=16853440191357562421&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

if you want petrol, and based on your budget, the Honda is OK, so is the new mountfields which use briggs motors ....but don't mow when the grass is damp or wet

if you want to stretch your budget a bit, and wish to take a chance on a 2nd hand mower, you can find used Etesia Pro mowers on ebay for approx £300 .... send it in for a full service which will cost £120-£150 and you have the best mower on the market that costs approx £2K .... which will last you a lifetime with the occasional service

many councils have now switched to Etesia (does not do stripes though)

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    This might be a daft question, but if the mower has served you well for 7 years, why not just fix it?

There's not really much to a lawn mower engine. Most faults are DIY fixable, or if you don't fancy mending it yourself, it shouldn't cost much to have someone else fix it.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    My 17 year old petrol lawnmower keeps on going thanks to the good old Haynes manual

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • williamthompsonus

williamthompsonus Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      [​IMG]

Electric lawnmowers are measured in watts. A higher wattage means more power and a better performance.

The engine capacity of petrol mowers is measured in cubic centimetres. The larger the cc, the greater the power output and the more effective the mower. :wow:

Cut-blade width in cm
      The cut-blade width you require will depend on the size of your lawn.
      For lawns sizes:

• Up to 50sq m: a 30cm cutting width is suitable.
      • Up to 150sq m: choose a 35-40cm cutting width.
      • Larger than 250sq m: look for a petrol lawnmower with a cutting width of 46cm or more.
      Cut height
      The cutting height can be adjusted for the length of the lawn. A wide cutting range is useful if you have to cut more than one lawn of different qualities, or different heights at various times of the year.

• For rotary lawnmowers: look for a wide cutting range from 12-70mm.
      • For petrol lawnmowers: look for a range from 25-80mm.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,890
      Welcome to Gardeners Corner @williamthompsonus. I think I'd better point out that this thread is over three years old.