Advice on getting nutrients into flowerbed

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by philupnorth, Sep 11, 2022.

1. philupnorth

philupnorth Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    What's the best way to get nutrients back into a flowerbed that has loads of spring bulbs in it?

When the summer annuals in my flowerbed die off I plan to plant voila & winter pansy's to have a bit of colour over winter & come spring I get a nice display of spring bulbs & as they die off I then plant annuals for the summer so I cant really dig in a load of manure.

Should I rake in a mixture of granule plant food & blood & bone or is there a better way to feed the bed? 20220412_160328.jpg 20220412_160334.jpg 20220412_160339.jpg 20220412_160344.jpg

2. infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
    Ratings:
    +1,155
    If you can source some, 3yr old leafmould or other well composted organic matter. Apply as a 25MM layer on the surface before the bulb shoots emerge.Think bluebell woods or ancient wild daffodil terrain. Feed the soil, not the plant.
    Would have used slug pellets when they were effective but now, useless.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,968
    I don't feed my flower beds as it can lead to lush leafy growth with fewer flowers. I would wait till the spring whem they emerge and use a high potash feed such as used for tomatoes to promote the flowers.