advice on grass needed

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by steveb1973, Jul 3, 2006.

1. steveb1973

steveb1973 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have this clump of grass next to my compost bin.It grows yearly after chopping right down to the ground in late autumn. It is starting to look past its best. If i were to chop it down to say 20 cm's now, will it grow back up immediately or will it not grow again untill next year????????????
    [​IMG]

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Steve I have loads of this as it spreads easily. I bought it at a church plant sale but it had no label. I think it is phalaris arundinacea and the answer to your question is both. If you cut it now it will continue to grow out the length of the 'shoots in growth', and it will come back fine next year no problems. I very often cut it to about 2 inches at the end of the season becasue it flops terribly.

BM

3. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Arrggghhh! That stuff is as invasive as couch grass and has a very simmilar habit. It'll choke anything it comes across and cutting it back makes it spread with more vigour as the runners will be searching for new places to pop up.

If you like it (and a clump can be attractive) then constrain it to a pot that's not got contact with the ground but be vigilant and don't let it escape or seed.

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    I grow it by the path and it doesn't manage to get past the landscaping fabric. But it does spread for the less vigilant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BM