Advice on growing aniseed?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by SimonZ, Mar 5, 2013.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    I sowed some aniseed (pimpinellum anisum) seeds on 17th Feb. They are in jelly pots with an average of five seedlings per pot, plus more in a larger (about 10 x 10") plastic container, only a few inches deep.

Each seedling is now about an inch tall, and they are about a week or s old. Should I transplant them to individual pots? They are currently growing on a south-facing window in full sun; I'm not sure whether I'll eventually be moving all or some of them outdoors, and would appreciate advice on this also.

Thanks.

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    You are keen on your umbellifers, aren't you!
    If they are only an inch tall you could transplant as long as you can keep them at mild, equable growing temps - they have germinated OK so they are probably happy on the windowsill. However, don't allow direct sunlight on them until they have settled after transplanting - several days. Also avoid cold draughts, eg on a windowsill if we get frosts.

I wouldn't put them out yet, but if (when) we get more fine days try putting them out in a sheltered spot for a few hours and gradually increasing the time out, avoiding frosts and cold. I think pimpinellas are hardy so by the end of April they could be ready to be planted outside as long as you have got them used to it.

3. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Thanks for that. Nearly a fortnight later and the seedlings are developing well.

4. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    Bet they're glad they're not outside. I am!