Advice on how much to charge for spraying.

Discussion in 'Roses' started by grant7173, Feb 15, 2015.

1. grant7173

grant7173 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I am just starting out on my own and would appreciate some advice on how much to charge customers for the different types of spraying (weeds mostly).

I am fully qualified to spray and have the relevant NPTC tickets.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +15,342
    Hi again, Well, firstly are you supplying the treatment and spraying equipment? Assuming you are, whatever you've set as your going rate in general would take into account your equipment costs. That leaves the cost of the chemicals. Are you buying them at preferential rates? If not, add the retail cost plus any costs incurred in fetching them. Some pro's add a profit margin, but personally I think, when you're just starting out, it's best to wait until you've got an established client base before charging high! If you are buying them at a reduced rate then you need a rough idea of the retail price per litre so you can charge that.
    If the customer is buying the chemicals and supplying a sprayer, only you can decide what your time is worth. I didn't charge different rates for different jobs. You'll know that you've got your charges right when work comes in steadily by word-of-mouth. If you're overwhelmed with prospective clients, you'll know that you're charging too little:) You don't say what area you're in, but that will be a factor, as will the type of client. Mostly pensioners and disabled folk with small gardens, or affluent youngish families and Yellow Book mansions? I started off with the first and ended up with the latter. Both very fulfilling! Good luck with your venture:)

3. LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,390
    I absolutely don't have a clue, but noisette47's advice sounds good! I'm just chipping in to wish you good luck in your new business and look forward to hearing how it goes x

• Funny Funny x 1
    • grant7173

grant7173 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks LyndaG! Noisette47 thanks for the advice it has given me a lot to think about! I am supplying the treatment and the equipment. I have a varied list of clients but the one in question is a big building company that build new homes. I will have to work out the area to be covered and will be buying the product in bulk. What I wanted to know really was the hourly rate for the labour. I work out of the south east.

Thanks

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +15,342
      Ahhh....that's a different kettle of poisson altogether!
      I'm out of touch with going rates, but given the location and the client, I'd be asking around £15-£20 ph + a margin on the treatment. Quite happy to be put straight by anyone who has a better idea, though.

• LyndaG

LyndaG Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,390
      How about checking yellow pages and phoning some folks who offer a similar service in your area - just let them think you are a customer, pricing up for a job? It's a tiny bit naughty I suppose, but at least you'de get an idea, eh? X

• Axl

Axl Gardener

Ratings:
      +446
      Noisette's pretty much got it ^ Hourly rate plus materials plus mark up on materials.

I only have one commercial contract which works out at £30 p/h and everyone I know is in the region of £25-£30 commercially. Residential slightly lower. I'd imagine the South East to be similar.