1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on my cherry tree - any idea what this is?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Loz420, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Loz420

Loz420 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I'm loz, I'm new here, I'm from Hertfordshire, very keen novice gardener.

I wondered if anyone can help me. I planted this cherry tree last year, it blossomed and grew new shoots, as it was a new tree I didn't trim off the new growth. Anyway I've just been outside to see this. It's the orange finger like bulbous bits at the base of the branches (sorry not a great pic as done in the dark).Any ideas?
    It looks like cross between roots and a parasite. I would like some advice if it's normal, if I need to do something to it or pull it up asap?
    Thanks Guys

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,518
    Welcome to Gardeners Corner Loz420. :)

A close up picture would be helpful please. From what I can see it looks as if your tree may have been planted to low in the ground. The rootstock graft ( the knobbly bit near the base) should be above ground to avoid growing unwanted suckers. I'm not sure of your gardening knowledge but feel free to ask if you need a more in depth explanation on this and how to go about dealing with the problem. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,020
      Welcome to the forum.

They look like adventitious roots and could be due to the graft being buried as Sheal says.

I'd move some of the soil away from the stem as it looks like it may be piled too high.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Loz420

Loz420 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +1
        Thank you both so much for your replies.
        So if I remove some of the soil from the base will the tree be ok?
        What can I do about the extra roots?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,518
          Once the graft is above ground anything growing below that joint on the trunk can be removed, with the exception of the trees main roots of course. :)