Advice on my Salix (Green Curls)

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Findahou, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Findahou

Findahou Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I need some advice on when it's best to prune my Salix, some of the branches have turned black and i've been told by a friend that when this happens i should prune them out to encourage new growth, is it ok to prune it now or should i leave it till the autumn :help:
    Thanks in advance
    Sandi

2. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Sandi,

Usually pruning is better done after the growing period has ended, but if you are taking off dead wood and the branches are relatively small you should be able to prune now without any problems.

If your tree is showing signs of necrosis, where leaves and branches turn black and die, then there could be an underlying problem that needs to be addressed, rather than just cutting off branches. Is it possible for you to post some pictures at all?

Matthew

3. Findahou

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matthew,
    I will get some pic's and try and post them on here, but i warn you it might take me a little time as im not too good with posting pic's:hehe: but will try my best:yez: I might have to ask my son to put them on for me if I can't do it:flag:

My friend has shown me the little instruction tag off her Salix 'Green Curls' and it says "it is the habit of this plant for branches to turn black and die from time to time, cut out this wood to encourage new shoot growth", but it does not say when :dh:

Will go and get some pic's in a moment

Cheers
    Sandi

4. Findahou

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is a few of pic's, hope they come out ok,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Ah, right, I'd say it's the growth pattern of the tree type and is naturally occuring. Carry out pruning in the autumn and you should get some nice new shoots on the following spring.