1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

advice on peppers please?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by jem218, Jul 5, 2009.

1. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello, i am quite new to edible gardening and i am really enjoying- but i am now stuck on whats best to do next? my pepper plants are just starting to flower- there are loads all over it! some 1 told me to pinch them off and my dad told me not too! what a dilema
    can anyone help me on this please?
    jane :cnfs:

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    Hi Jane
    I have never grown peppers but i had a quick look at this site and it says no , this is a good guide to most veggies www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk

3. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, thanks for your reply, i had a look and i think i am going to leave them- at least for awhile and i'll see what happens!#
    jane

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Don't pinch the flowers off. The peppers form behind the flower after the flower finishes. In effect the pepper is the seed pod that forms after the flower, so nipping the flowers off will just prevent the peppers forming.

The only advantage I can think of for nipping them off, and this is purely theoretical for me because the wife and I never pick them off) is that it might stimulate the plant to produce more, but I wouldn't chance it.

5. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi there thanks for the advice, i am definately leaving them to natures own devices i think, being as its my first year growing veggies i guess alot is trial and error- although the fewer errors the better lol! does the same apply to tomatoes and their flowers?
    kind regards
    jane

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,496
    Sometimes large bell pepers need thinning as too many fruits (veg) will cause branches to snap under the weight. If you don't want to do that you can support the branch by tying to a small cane. I do both.:)

7. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    oh cool, that amy be really sound advice?? never having grown them i'm not sure how many fruits to expect, there are loads and loads of flower buds tho!! how woudl i thin them if i needed to?
    jane

8. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    that sounds like sound advice to me lol! never having grown them b4 i'm not sure what to expect! how would i thin them if i needed to?
    kind regards
    jane

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    You will probably find that not all the flowers set fruit - the plants will usually adjust to how much they can hold (but the stems are brittle, so worth supporting once the fruit starts to form).

Worth spraying them with a fine mist periodically to help the flowers set fruit.

10. andybike

andybike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    its like removing the flowers from a tomato plant...a fruitless exercise.

11. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Oh dear:lollol:

12. andybike

andybike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    didn't you like that 1?

i could have said if you havent a clue then you won't find the root of the problem:hehe:

13. jem218

jem218 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ok i got it! leave the flowers for more fruit?! lol i am very green at this lol- except for my fingers lol