Advice on Tree for North Facing Wall

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Cakey, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Cakey

Cakey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone, I want to plant a small tree (or possibly a shrub) on a North facing wall to create a bit of barrier between next door. The border and space is quite small so the tree needs to be more upright than spreading. I am also concerned about it blocking out too much light so it needs to clear the 6ft fence to create the barrier but probably grow (or be able to keep it tamed to) less than 12ft. Reasonably fast growing would be good to! Any advise would be gratefully recieved. Many thanks.

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I have a Pyracantha against a north facing wall which also has a west wall running along one side of it restricting light even more. It will grow beyond 12' if you let it but I keep mine to about 10' high by about 4' wide. But it is not called the Firethorn for nothing and will keep out stray cats [or neighbours!]. It all depends on how "solid" a barrier you want and whether or not you want a thorny barrier or a "soft" one. Softer Shrubs you might consider are Acuba - 7' to 10', Ceanothus will only get up to 7' but is a nice shrub, Some varieties of Cornus get up to 12', the Decaisnea [Blue Bean] is unusual but there are two in my neighbourhood and grow to 10' to 12', Dipelta [not common but a nice plant, easy to grow] which will get to 12', Elaegnus [varieties with green and gold leaves] easy to grow and will get to 12', Euonymus is a nice shrub with deciduous varieties reaching up to 20' [but it does like some sun], Forsythia Spectablis will grow to 8'to 9', Sea Buckthorn [spiny] will reach 20' and is very hardy, certain types of Prunus are possibly woRth considering. The trouble is trying to balance the height you require to clear a 6' fence, a north facing site which might be exposed to cold winds, and whether or not you want a spiny or soft shrub. Good luck!!

3. kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +4,647