Advice on trimming my tree

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Jonathorn, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Jonathorn

Jonathorn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey all, I am a novice gardener and I would really appreciate some gardening advice from a more experienced soul! I bought a cherry tree 3 years ago around 5' high, the first year we had many cherries and again in the second year however last year it seemed more preoccupied with growing larger and taller rather than giving fruit. I know the tree needs trimming (it hasn't been trimmed since I bought it) however I don't know where to begin and I even feel apprehensive about trimming the branch I feel should be trimmed (highlighted in yellow in second pic). Any advice would be greatly appreciated on what, when and how much to trim in order to have an optimum cherry production! Thanks in advance to everyone.

Attached Files:

2. BobTG

BobTG Plantaholic

None - at last!
    Ratings:
    +260
    Hi @Jonathorn Tricky, as cherries shouldn't be pruned until July/August, to avoid silver leaf disease entering.
    However, I would remove that lower part (circled in yellow) right back to the trunk.
    I'd leave the rest of the pruning until July and have another look at the tree then - it may not need further pruning. :smile: