Advice please on Vine Eyes and wire for Clematis, Vitis Coignetiae etc

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Oct 10, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I am in the process of having the outside of my home re rendered and have had to take down all the various climbers I had. I am intending to put the majority back up....those that have survived the workmen!!!!

The outside of the house is changing colour and therefore the plastic netting I had up for the Clematis doesn't really go any longer. I was thinking of putting up vine eyes and wire instead as to my mind it looks much nicer than plastic and the cost of the plastic netting and clip things to hold up the netting are ridiculously expensive when you are talking about the numbers I'd need (about 200 clips).

I have done a little homework and see vine eyes come in different lengths. Which would I need? Apart from various Clematis, I have a Vitis Coignetiae, 2 different types of Parthenocissus Quinquefolia and 3 climbing Roses. Clueless as to the type of wire I'd need too so any advice would be great. Obviously the vine eyes and wire would need to be galvanized or similar to stop rust. I need to get the eyes fairly quickly so the workmen can drill them into the walls prior to the top coat of cement I presume. Not sure where I should have posted this but apologies if in the wrong forum and move it if you want to!

• Like Like x 1
    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +23,091
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I think I can better those prices:

Vine eyes are amongst Wilkos 'pick and mix' items and you can stuff well over a hundred items into a bag for £2.99, and there's smaller bags for £1.99. Store locator http://www.wilko.com/page/store

I get my wire from this ebay seller http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171344300...49&var=470400590632&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT , but they're OOS of 2mm at the moment, but when in stock it's £15 for 250mm delivered which is over 12 times as much wire for another £4.20.

• Informative Informative x 3
          Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
        • silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Thanks very much Longk and Scrungee,now clued up on what I need to get and good places to get same. Much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            Glad you asked the question silu - saved me asking :thumbsup:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +16,248
            Whatever you do don't buy this type of knock in vine eye , bottom photo. If your mortar is anything like mine they will not knock in !
            If you have a wad of money to throw at this project , the Tecni Cable system uses stainless steel cable on special studs . It looks really nice fitted as a chess board pattern to a rendered wall.
            http://www.tecni-cable.co.uk/Products/TECNI-Stainless-Cable-Trellis

9aa8b1463c22003b07d2dcccfb0236e1.jpg

GDN-920_large.jpg

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +122,455
            Although Harry's warning is a good one, I used the hammer-in ones forty years ago for our Wisteria and they're still going strong. I used plastic coated, heavy duty, wire.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,668
            Agree the
            [​IMG]
            type are useless. I bought those 1st time around and they all bent before I could hammer them in

WRT to screw-in type vine eyes, I prefer to have longer ones so that the wires are held suitable "off" the wall so that there is air behind the plant / leaves - less chance of damp collecting and mucking up the render (or so I persuade myself each time I use them!)

• silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Thanks for the added advice, Shiney, Harry and Kristen. Had a look Harry at what you were mentioning OMG the cost, that will be a no! My house is mainly stone not brick Shiney so think the screw in ones would be better suited. Once I had worked out what WRT meant Kristen (not very internet slang savvy!!!) I take your point re a bit of extra room for air to circulate so have duly purchased a huge bag of long vine eyes.

• Friendly Friendly x 1