Advice Please - Small Tree Required

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Pat, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Pat

Pat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've just had to take a small tree down due to damage and I am looking for something to replace it. Its for a North facing Garden in Yorkshire. I would like something that will display a Blossom that will attract Butterflies etc but possibly not a Buddleia. Its in a front Garden thats not too big so it needs to be slow growing and ideally grow up to a maximum height of 3mtrs or 10' in old money!

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,656
    Hi Pat I know its what not you are asking for,could I respectfully suggest a Rowan(Mountain Ash) Lovely tree,Red berries will attract birds and slow growing and a good shape:)

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Pat,
    Is it a small tree or a shrub you want to replace the damaged tree? A north facing garden in Yorkshire possibly means something pretty hardy. You might have a look around your area to see what trees are growing in other gardens. For largish shrubs that attract insects there's varieties of Mock Oranges, Choisya,
    Escallonia, Ceanothus, etc ---- there's a huge choice, but it all comes down to YOUR personal choice. Have a wallk around some of the large gardens to see them flowering and what appeals to you. Good luck!

4. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,442
    Hi Pat,

Lilac would be a good choice. Slow growing, tough as old boots, a wide choice of colours, highly scented and loved by butterflies. :dbgrtmb:

5. Pat

Pat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks it is a small Tree that I am looking for . Just one other point is that the area for planting is reasonably sheltered but doesn't get a great amount of sun.

6. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Hi Pat,

I thought it might be a small tree you were thinking of but as you mentioned Buddleja [which ain't a tree but a shrub] I wasn't too sure. So you want a preferably small tree that blossoms in a north-facing site with not too much light??! The usual choice for a small tree is a Cherry Blossom but in this case it probably isn't that suitable as they like plenty of light to do them justice. There isn't much choice after that when it comes blossoming trees that are small. There are slow growing Acers but they can be vunerable to wind chill [but they are a lovely tree worth a bit of TLC]. There are the Hazels giving you catkins. The Hawthorn is regarded as a hedge but there are trees that flower and give you red berries as a bonus. They can get to 15'
    but judicious pruning can keep them to the height you want. Others are Crab Apple [on a grafted stock to keep the height within reason], Mulberry and as suggested in another reply to you Rowan [Mountain Ash].
    I guess part of the enjoyment of gardening is the struggle to get something to grow successfully where it
    shouldn't! i WISH YOU LUCK.