Advice Please - Want to grow Strawberries ?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by bilabonic, Jun 17, 2009.

1. bilabonic

bilabonic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

I want to start growing my first ever fruit/veg and want to make a start with strawberries. I am a TOTAL newbie with regards this...

I would like to grow them in a pot if possible ?

Are there different strains like other plants ?

What do you feed them on ??

Anyone help as sick of buying them in Supermarket...

Cheers

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Strawberries are really easy to grow.....keep the weeds down and net them to protect them from the birds....blackbirds LOVE them. Draping netting over them is fine, you don't need a cage. Easy in pots too as long as you keep them well watered. Lots of different varieties, I'm not too up on the current favourites. Gorella was one I used to grow that was very tasty. Avoid the ones with the pretty pink flowers, they look great but the strawberries are small and not too tasty.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    You could use a tower pot for Strawberries

[​IMG]

I've got one that came from Ken Muir

They also sell strawberry plants which have been "treated" to get them to fruit the first year. But if you buy some now they will fruit next year anyway, so no point getting "treated" ones at this time I would think.

There are Early and late varieties, I have a range from early to late and they all fruit pretty much at the same time! but if you had two pots you could keep one in a conservatory, and one outside, so that you staggered the fruiting season a bit.