Advice Please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dianni, Oct 31, 2008.

1. Dianni

Dianni Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My hubby bought me a Begonia Million Kisses Romance plant in August. It has been beautiful. I brought it indoors at the end of September and it's sitting quite happily on the kitchen windowsill.

My problem is that there are absolutely no care instructions on the label. I would really like to keep it for next year if at all possible.

If anyone can tell me how to look after it, I'd be grateful. I'm not at all good with house plants lol

Thanks in advance

Di
    xxxxx

2. wilroda

wilroda Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am by no means an expert - I am sure someone will be along to help you out on this but If it were mine the first thing i would do is take a cutting - they root easily in water. ( take a few) That way you can ensure that you have some babies if for any reason you lose your "mother plant". I would keep it warm but out of direct sunlight - begonias dont like too much sun. - and dont over water it.
    It may become rather straggly over the winter but should recover in the spring when you could take cuttings again!

Hope this is of some help

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    Dianni, as far as I know, they are not tuber forming so you can't store them that way. I am not sure about taking cuttings this time of year as the plant will be slowing down and would be very slow to root.
    Cutting back to around 6ins of growth may be a better idea, this means the plants hasn't much foliage to keep going through the winter months. Keep it fairly dry during this period and only increase watering gradually when there are signs of new growth.
    I personally would dispose of it and buy new plants in the spring but I am a bit mercenary that way. Hope this helps.:)

4. Dianni

Dianni Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for your help. I'll try cuttings and will also trim it back and have a go at nursing it through the winter.

Di
    xx