Advice please ...

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by Webmaster, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    I am getting rid of our pathway that goes down the centre of our garden, and replacing it with a pathway down one side of the garden.

Now, the advice bit ......

When the pathway is removed, the lawn on one side of the path is lower (about 2 1/2"), we are just waiting for one of the nippers to trip over and crack their heads, hence me getting this done.

Now, to get rid of the low point in the lawn, is it best to cover the existing lawn in soil/compost and lay turf over the top, or is it going to be best to dig up the old lawn, fill with soil, then lay turf ?

When the path is gone, it will make the garden look bigger, as there will be a larger area of lawn all in one piece, whereas at the moment we have the two lawns divided by the awful concrete path.

Cheers

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thumb: Hi Nathan,
    We had to do a similar thing a few years back.
    We lifted a strip of turf down one side, rotovated the ground. Trod it well till flattish then banked the area up with sand until we had a nice smooth rise. Then added a layer of top soil, raked it then flattened it with a plank.. Then we laid the turf back down we had lifted & carried on with new turf until we reached the wall.. (Or you could seed it, but turf is better with kids around... ) I watered the turf everyday if it didn't rain for what seemed like months, but it all took first time & after the first winter you wouldn't know it had been done..! :eek: Don't just put a layer of top soil down to bring it up to height, the roots will struggle to as it will be loose soil on to compacted rubbish from the path & you will never have nice grass there..
    Hope this helps Nathan, sounds a bit long winded but worth it..:thumb:

3. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    We laid turf on top of turf, last year WM, A ton of top soil in between, (small lawn) It took fine, no problems..

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,955
    I will see how energetic I feel when I come to doing it :D , I feel I will have a little dig though .

5. Damage

Damage Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If the area of lawn that you want to raise is not too big, it would be good to big patch of turf still attached on one side. That way it will re-estbalish much quicker than if you lift it completely and relay.

Not very practical for big areas of course.