advice please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mimi, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Mimi

Mimi Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I would be grateful for your opinions please.

I had a tree chopped down and saved a nice piece which I had carved out so that I could plant something in it. I would like to have it throughout the winter, please could you help me choose a smallish plant which will be colourful and either have flowers or berries throughout the autumn and winter.

Thanks

Mimi

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    What about calluna heathers they aren't particularly tall growing and some have lovely coloured foliage in winter eg Glenfidich. Some Erica heathers flower through the winter though they will need a sheltered spot or winter flowering pansies?

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Hi, Mimi - are you keeping the carved wood indoors or out? And is there drainage? Sounds a lovely idea :D

4. Mimi

Mimi Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is going to remain outdoors and regarding drainage, the guy who carved it out for me said that it doesn't really need drainage as the wood will absorb any excess liquid, having said that I could drill some holes in it anyway.

Thanks for your idea