Advice please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by keyboardape, Sep 5, 2011.

1. keyboardape

keyboardape Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have 3 of these in my garden, they were lush green last year but suddenly started to turn brown. One of them has completely gone brown and I had to remove it. Attached picture is of the second one which has started to show the signs. I don't want to loose it - please advice if this a disease or am I doing something wrong. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    Have you had a very dry spring and summer, such as most of the E Midlands has had? (Many apologies if you live oop North) That may have affected them.

They appear to be evergreens and some of the foliage has died back. Evergreen branches that have died do not normally recover but as they are young plants you may be lucky, especially if the twigs are still green and just the foliage has been affected. Evergreens do not grow back if cut back into old wood.

Are the leylandii? if so, you've had a lucky escape, sometimes Nature just knows best.

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,893
    As Mahdahlia says, they are conifers and are unlikely to recover. Usually it will spread throughout the plant and the only thing to do is dig them out.

4. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
    conifers are not my favourite shrub .... I never plant then ... dump them and replace with something else

I have a 6 foot conifer hedge to remove in the next 3 weeks (approx 15 meters long) ... (its not leylandii) ....

it's been brown for 2 years and the owner was hoping they would 'green up' ...

• Like Like x 1