Advice re Bamboo please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hailbopp, Mar 2, 2024.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +857
    I have been given some rather nice variegated Bamboo to contribute to plants I sell for charity.
    It grows about 4 ft tall and is not a thug! It does send out runners but does not behave like a complete horror Bamboo that was in my garden when we moved in.That was a ghastly menace which I got rid of…with difficulty.
    I dug up with help! the donated Bamboo yesterday and have repotted it. I have taken off the majority of the top growth. Hope I have done the right thing? Bit late now if I have not! The potted up sections are now in an unheated greenhouse. Does anybody know how long it will take for the Bamboo to hopefully take and start to regrow as trying to sell a pot of what looks like bare earth is not very easy:). Thanks

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,059
    I presume it should start to put up at least a few shoots later in the spring, I don't have much bamboo but what I have got seems to grow new stems in May and June.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,968
      I've bought pots from local people that were a bit of root and two chopped down stems. They do take easily provided they are well watered for the first couple of years.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
        +857
        Thanks both @pete and @JWK. Hmm, I thought I was pushing my luck hoping I would have. “ a forest” of Bamboo in about a month. Some of my very loyal supporters might believe there actually is quite a lot of Bamboo in the pots, others not so much!I will offer it but expect to maybe have to do a wee separate sale around July time. I have done this in the past with the likes of Agapanthus. Some folk insist on seeing plants in flower before purchasing them. I suppose people are now indoctrinated into how plants are sold in garden supermarkets, oh sorry garden centres, well actually come to think of it loads of plants are now sold in supermarkets. How the supermarkets make much money on them is debatable as most plants seem to die due that essential, water, not being supplied.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,059
          If you was a garden centre you would be putting these in a very warm green house now in order to get them to shoot early for sale.
          Once sold you wouldn't be bothered if they lived or died. :frown:

• Agree Agree x 4
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +22,566
            I've supplied bamboo plants to some people and they were a length of root with a few stems cut down to make them manageable.
            Note it's bad news if bamboos flower as they often die afterwards or take several years to struggle back.

They screw the growers down to a low price with large orders. This is why all the supermarkets have the same plants, at the same price and the same time because that is what the lowest cost growers are offering. The growers tend to be large, with automated growing systems and paying as little as possible.

• Like Like x 1
            • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
              +857
              Plus the majority of the plants come from Holland, never having seen the light of day…well real light of day anyway! I used to live very close to 4 large garden centres and watched as massive Dutch trucks offloaded the same plants to each garden centre. No wonder the good old fashioned local nurseries are very hard to find these days as cannot compete price wise, as for quality? well the plants look ok having been forced under cover, how they then look after a British winter that is another story.

• Agree Agree x 3
              • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
                Ratings:
                +1,154
                Actually, those Dutch lorries may well have collected the plants from Bulgaria and Hungary where there are said to be large automated greenhouses equipped with moving grow beds, climatically controlled and chemically 'enhanced' to give maximum shelf life. They can be recognised through being a particular shade of green, and typically can sit in a 'drug induced coma' for several weeks before finally shaking it off and , hopefully, growing on.
                Edited to add link
                Home

• Informative Informative x 2
                  Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
                • flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
                  Ratings:
                  +1,917
                  You'll be looking at at least two or three seasons before you even have a plant pot with more than 'a twig or two'.
                  Most bamboos will act like a sulky teenager...until they grow out of it

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +15,332
                    IME when you chop the stems they tend to put growth on sideways, so at least the pots will be full of rhizome :)

• Informative Informative x 1