Advice re gales and greenhouse

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by silu, Aug 7, 2016.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    It is very windy here and due to get worse ( about 50 mph forecast:sad:). This is unusual specially for the time of year.
    I'm a little worried about my greenhouse.
    I had been keeping the double doors and vents the other end open as a through draft but think it best to close everything. Trouble is the automatic roof vents. With everything shut I'd expect the temperature inside the greenhouse to activate the openers. Is it best (flaming nuisance) to disconnect the openers and lock the windows down as I do in the winter or just lock the the windows down without disconnecting the stick thingies? I don't know if the Windows might buckle should they try to open when locked down? I have never faced this potential problem before with high winds when it's relatively warm.
    This is a complete pain in the posterior as the winds will no doubt play havoc with many of my herbaceous plants which are at their maximum height and flowering so quite top heavy.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,311
    I would disconnect the automatic openers Silu. If they try to operate it may damage either them or the windows.

I've got the high winds to and they're beheading my roses. :doh:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      I did as you suggested Sheal,and glad I did. It was extremely interesting here for most of the day and while the greenhouse might have been ok, I think I was right to disconnect the openers , the wind might well have caught the windows as they would have opened as despite the wind it was pretty warm and sunny here. Must remember to reconnect tomorrow tho!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,478
        I disconnect mine very often in the early spring and late fall to in the evenings to reserve heat.

It only takes seconds to override :)

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,311
          I've not bothered with them as I only have one window and I'm usually around home to open or shut it when necessary.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,360
          I usually disconnect mine during gales and wire them shut, and keep the place totally shut ,doors as well.

Aluminium greenhouses in particular are only designed to withstand wind from the outside, once the wind gets inside it can be bye bye to most of your glazing.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1