Advice re live bamboo screening please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lotvdaisy, May 29, 2007.

1. lotvdaisy

lotvdaisy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm a new member here and would be very grateful for some advice. My aunt is wanting some bamboo screening as her neighbours have cut down some shrubs and she feels very over looked. I suggested that she has a real bamboo screen rather than a fence type, and that way she'd get dappled shade and the rustling of the leaves. However, I am aware how invasive bamboo can be. Can anyone suggest a variety that would be tall enough to provide the privacy, but that wouldn't take over the whole garden. Would willow be an option? Thank you.

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  3. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's useful, I have been wanting some bamboo for screening in my garden, but I didn't have clue about it. Thanks for posting the question lotvdaisy and thanks for the link dendrobium

4. digital flower

digital flower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I like Fargesia but it it's really expensive and hard to get around here. Unless she has a very big yard don't use the spreading types.

On second thought I wouldn't use the spreading types at all (even with a root barrier).

5. gloria

gloria Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    re: bamboo, I put some tiny bamboo in a corner of my garden - now it has taken over, can anyone tell me how I can get rid of it. I've tried digging the roots, but they are everywhere - almost broke my back digging them up. I would be grateful if anyone can help me!!! [​IMG]

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,156
    Hi gloria. I have a Bamboo but have got mine contained in a pot as I had been forewarned they were invasive. A good job too because it is going beserk at the moment. :eek:

I believe pick axe is the answer to your question as how to get rid of it! Roundup could be an alternative! :rolleyes:

7. accidentalgardener

accidentalgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Dendrobium,

I would like to say thanks for the link as well [​IMG] I have bamboo right at the back of my garden, I have no idea what type it is as it was given to me by a gardener friend but i like the idea of black bamboo [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] :D

8. seeker of knowledge

seeker of knowledge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gloria,

You have my sympathy as I have been fighting to get rid of a bamboo in my garden - you wouldn't believe the distance their suckers extend to. I found one had gone under my path to a distance of at least 6 feet. I ended up digging out as much as I could and treating the suckers I couldn't reach with SBK I found round up didn't touch it. Definitely a plant for the container.