advise on plants

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by paul walker, Feb 5, 2008.

1. paul walker

paul walker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi every-one not been on here for a while, last season in the summer i had busy lizzies in my tubs as you all know thats the only place i can have plants because my garden is small, but every plant was attacked by snails & slugs even after every attempt to stop them by all means, in the end i had to throw them all away, so i ended up with a dull bare garden for the rest of the summer, this i dont want to happen again this summer, could you please tell me what kind of plants to put in my tubs this year that dont atract snails & slugs but i would like the bright & colourful ones and will last all through the summer, my wife is not into gardening but she likes to see the plants out of the kitchen window, my tubs are about 15"x6 please please help. thank you paul walker.

2. paul walker

paul walker Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi every-one not been on here for a while, last season in the summer i had busy lizzies in my tubs as you all know thats the only place i can have plants because my garden is small, but every plant was attacked by snails & slugs even after every attempt to stop them by all means, in the end i had to throw them all away, so i ended up with a dull bare garden for the rest of the summer, this i dont want to happen again this summer, could you please tell me what kind of plants to put in my tubs this year that dont atract snails & slugs but i would like the bright & colourful ones and will last all through the summer, my wife is not into gardening but she likes to see the plants out of the kitchen window, my tubs are about 15"x6 please please help. thank you paul walker.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Paul there are tips in the pest section on dealing with slugs don't let them limit what you grow in your tubs ,try putting a couple of bands of copper tape with a slight gap between them right around the tubs you will find it quite effective.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Paul there are tips in the pest section on dealing with slugs don't let them limit what you grow in your tubs ,try putting a couple of bands of copper tape with a slight gap between them right around the tubs you will find it quite effective.

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I would consider geraniums (strictky speaking Pelargoniums). They flower for a very long period with good bright colours. I have never had trouble with slugs - they give off quite a smell and that is often a defense mechanism. But a major fact in their favour is that they are quite happy in dry conditions, and it very easy to forget to water pots. Like bussy lizzies they are perennial but tender.

Other tender perennials (this group seem to flower for a very long period) are Argyranthemum, Felicia, Osteopermum, Petunia, Fuschia (Koralle, which is comonly available as a plug, gives a wonderful show), Verbena (Homestead purple is a vigorous large flowered one, which I love).

If you have a shady spot you could try Coleus. It doesn't have any flowers but wonderfully coloured leaves. I also have Lugurus ovatus (hare's tail grass) in a pot.

Almost all the above are very popular and will be available very soon as cheap plugs in garden centres.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I would consider geraniums (strictky speaking Pelargoniums). They flower for a very long period with good bright colours. I have never had trouble with slugs - they give off quite a smell and that is often a defense mechanism. But a major fact in their favour is that they are quite happy in dry conditions, and it very easy to forget to water pots. Like bussy lizzies they are perennial but tender.

Other tender perennials (this group seem to flower for a very long period) are Argyranthemum, Felicia, Osteopermum, Petunia, Fuschia (Koralle, which is comonly available as a plug, gives a wonderful show), Verbena (Homestead purple is a vigorous large flowered one, which I love).

If you have a shady spot you could try Coleus. It doesn't have any flowers but wonderfully coloured leaves. I also have Lugurus ovatus (hare's tail grass) in a pot.

Almost all the above are very popular and will be available very soon as cheap plugs in garden centres.

7. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fuschias are also quite useful in pots with some of Peter's reccomendations. I also use a mix of Perennial grasses and Cannas with the more tender plants - do not appear to need as much water but a bit less colourful than Busy Lizzies..........

8. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fuschias are also quite useful in pots with some of Peter's reccomendations. I also use a mix of Perennial grasses and Cannas with the more tender plants - do not appear to need as much water but a bit less colourful than Busy Lizzies..........