Advise required on planting Laurels in very wet ground.

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Nedson, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Nedson

Nedson Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought 8 nice bushy rootballed Laurels 5 foot tall. Started digging out last night and we have very heavy clay soil this morning the holes had around 2 inches of water in the bottom.Obviously with the conditions we've had over the last month the ground is as saturated as it will ever be.
    My question is should i just wait for a couple of weeks for it to hopefully drain before planting or should I take other measures ie completely digging out the border and filling with lighter topsoil.
    Thanks in advance image.jpg

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,837
    Hallo Nedson,
    welcome to the soggy Gardeners Corner. We are all in the same boat - floating around in puddles just like yours. I would wait until the puddles subside and I wouldn't recommend replacing the soil as it may continue to rain for a while yet :gaah: . Put them somewhere safe and keep an eye on them. Have a wander round the forum -lots to see. Others will be along to say hallo soon,
    :sign0016:
    Jenny namaste

3. moonraker

moonraker Gardener

Ratings:
    +243
    Hi
    Any shrub /tree or bulb infact?
    wont thank you for drowning it,
    the signs your seeing now ie water, is a good view of the fact that you need drainage digging in, a good sized hole twice as wide of the root ball and a good slow acting food supply (the laurel will be in its new home for a very long time)

What you see now is a good insight to what will happen with a very wet period so dont plant it now, wait until the weathers much better and then give the laurel a good start and good drainage.

4. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hello

yes wait a while , laurel is a tough plant as Jenny/Monraker said keep safe for now, out of the wind , and I would cover the "rootballs" to keep any frost out of them until you plant, also check they may need a water, as being evergreen they lose a lot of water through the leaves.

Spruce