Advise to level garden

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by GpeeWs, Jun 4, 2023.

1. GpeeWs

GpeeWs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hello

I’d be really grateful if you could advise, I’m going to level my garden, the slope gradient is 1:10, I want to create one level garden without steps.

I’m thinking in doing it myself by simply raise the lower part. Do I need to reinforce the fence or build retaining walls in-front of the fence?

thanks for your expert advise

IMG_1581.jpeg

IMG_1583.jpeg IMG_1716.jpeg IMG_1582.jpeg

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +22,551
    I would start by doing a survey of the garden, string, pegs/canes, spirit level, long piece of wood to act as a straight edge, note book and pencil. This allows you to work out how much you need to raise the lowest point by, how far up the existing fence the new level will be and how much soil you are going to have to use the raise low points and estimate costs.
    As for the fence it won't like being covered in soil, so I would consider building a retaining wall and then mounting the fence on top.
    Also bear in mind that changing the levels will affect the drainage.
    A slight slope away from the patio might be a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,291
      If levelling it off in line with the patio, it would seem better if you could remove and replant the fencing so it is equally level ?
      Though it appears on the right hand side half of that fence panel is in next doors garden, so a bit more work to sort that out, but not impossible.

However would seem to depend on the level of the neighbours gardens and if they are a slope in line with yours you might have to leave the fences in place and build a retaining wall to protect them from your deeper soil, unless they are thinking of doing a similar levelling to yours ?

What is behind the tall fence directly opposite the patio, is it soil at the same level or below, in which case we would think drainage would be ok ?

• GpeeWs

GpeeWs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Loads of thanks, it is really helpful. I just wanted to get it levelled without steps as I believe it would be safer for kids and convenient for their activities like having a trampoline or pool .. etc. instead of change/elevate the fence I’m considering trellis. The patio reaching to the fence and no soil there .. many thanks again

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,769
      You'll need a strong retaining wall. If you just bank soil against the fence, it will really upset your neighbours because it will push the fence over. Not at first, but certainly after a year or two as the soil naturally expands and contracts and settles.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,981
        It looks like quite a slope to me in pic 3, looks like level will be around the height of the bottom arris rail.
        You can't pile soil that high up the fence.
        I think you will need retaining walls.
        I know you say you want it level but a compromise would be a step down off the patio and then the soil removed could be used for building up the lower section.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,926
        Have you worked out how much soil you would need? It looks a few tons to me, have you got access to get it in, wheelbarrowing several tons of soil is quite a job.

• Like Like x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +31,299
          Wouldn't it be easier to build raised gardens along the fence line and then dig out some of the higher area and deposit in the raised beds? You could have just one long step along the patio to step down to the new grade?

• Like Like x 2