African Violets

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hornbeam, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Always popular, but nearly always short lived because of over watering. The secret is to keep them out of direct sunlight and give them a drink of soft (lime free) water only when they are flagging and gasping for some. Never let the crown get wet, but a daily light misting is very beneficial. If your tap water is hard, give them a little of the bottled Caledonian stuff. If taking the bottle from the fridge, let it warm up first.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    What lovely plnts, Hornbeam!
    My main one is a more traditional colour, and is 4 years old this October!! It lives in the bathroom, with a north-facing window, and has been flowering non-stop for months. Probably because I've been hoping for it to slow down to be able to divide it.... :rolleyes: I've taken several leaves over the years, and have given away many a little plant from it!

I finally gave in and potted it on instead.... (apologies for quality - indoors with lights has made it a bit fuzzy, and the colour isn't as good as it should be. Maybe tomorrow....)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Beautiful pictures both of you - the african violet is a much underated plant - but it is a real jewel of a plant.

4. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Lovely plants I have had one on the cill in the shower room and its not stopped flowering all year it gets a misting every time the shower is used

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    We seem to be given a violet nearly every year at the end of summer term at in-house advisor's school where she is a TA. Strangely although I have been growing plants professionally for nearly forty years I have never had more than two or three at home. African violets are one that I always have room for (well one or two) as they flower without any real effort and have an understated beauty.

6. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I picked up two african violets at B&Q today for 30p each. They look absolutely fine except they aren't flowering which I suppose is why they are selling them cheap. I love a bargain!

7. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    As an experiment I have had one growing in pot outside in a very shady position under a conifer. It gets little rain as its tucked right up by the trunk and I keep the flower pot in a ceramic outer pot so that the bottom is suspended above 1/4 of water. I haven't added any water all summer and its growing away fine. I'll have to bring it in as soon as we get a frost though.

They make very good shade plants and seem to light up a dark corner when in bloom. Definitely have more outside next year.

8. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We used to visit the African Violets centre in Terrington St Clements years ago which was run by the Chelsea Gold Medal winner Reverand Tony Clements.There was always coach parties visiting,but since he sold up when he, I think became a Bishop it has dwindled to nothing.We went for a drive over to there and was so dissapointed in the place...we won't be hurrying back

9. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I remember Tony Clements, he was the man for african violets a few years ago, never went there but heard about it.
    Pity he packed it all up. :( [​IMG]