African Violets

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Frangipani, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone know how to make them flower? I;ve had one for about a year and it looks pretty much the same as when I got it.. :(

it's on the kitchen window sill in dappled shade..

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Is it in a largeish pot, because they dont seem to like big pots in my experience, a 4 in one is plenty.
    Bright light in the summer and sunshine in the winter, occasional feeding with high potash, and let the leaves get slightly limp before watering from the bottom.
    It works for me.
    [​IMG]
    Not a great plant but the best I can come up with at the moment, its been in the same pot at least 2 yrs.

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I go with Pete's advise - african violets seem to thrive on neglect. Stick them in a shadyish spot, keep watering and feeding to the minimum (and never from the top), and don't repot - and you too could have flowers like Pete's.

Its one of the few houseplants that I have managed to succeed with - but only after I removed them from the kitchen window sill (where they got too much sun, and got overwatered), and moved them into the lounge - where I tend to forget them. They reward me - by not only surviving but flowering toooo.

4. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    that'll be the problem then.. giving it far too much root freedom! It's sharing a pot with a big spikey thing.. so I'll sink a small pot into the larger pot and go from there [​IMG]

I've got too many plants indoors for it to have it's own space.. :(

need a bigger flat..

5. berry

berry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have an African Violet which has been lovely for years, until this year. Half of it has died off already and it seems the other half is going the same way. :(

The stem has become (too?)long and the 'crown' of leaves and flowers seem to be suffering.
    Any tips for re-potting or propagation?

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Pete is prolly the best one to answer this - but as I recall, the way to propogate is by leaf cutting - I did some years ago, but can not remember exactly how it worked. So will wait to see Pete provide you with more robust detail.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Thanks Fran I'll try.
    Berry,Take a leaf off the plant with all the stalk, you need one thats not too old but also not too young.
    Push the stalk into a small pot of peat or similar, based compost, and water sparingly, leave in a shaded place in doors.
    It can take a while but eventually you will find a cluster of new plantlets forming from the stalk, below soil level.
    Dont be in too much of a hurry to pot them up singlelly, allow them to reach a reasonable size before doing so.
    Its easy but can take a few months. [​IMG]

8. berry

berry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thankyou Fran and Pete.

I'll try a few leaves, as I'm not too confident. :( but I really would like to keep it going.

[​IMG]
    It used to have a 'twin' the other side of the pot, til last year they had loads of flowers and leaves. Thanks again [​IMG]

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Good luck and let us know how it does eh!

10. berry

berry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Fingers crossed!!

[​IMG]

The one on the left doesn't seem too healthy, but it has a long stalk, and nothing ventured...
    [​IMG]

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    Berry, looks OK, but one point, The pot on the right is too big.
    Really both leaves could go in the pot on the left, back to back.

12. berry

berry Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again Pete! ;)

I'll go and sort it out now.
    ( If I can drag myself away from GC! :D )