Ailing hydrangea

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by adamadamant, Sep 20, 2024 at 3:03 PM.

1. adamadamant

adamadamant Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi I have a lacecap hydrangea - old, it's been around for at least 20 years, but has never given me an ounce of trouble. It has some stems dying back at the rear of the shrub and now is wilting like mad. Old flower heads are black and shrivelled. I watered it - it has been somewhat dry for a couple of weeks here - but it hasn't revived. It is putting out new leaves but these too are now wilting.
    What bothers me most is that it is under a pyracantha which has fireblight and which I am also trying to deal with. Apparently the two are unconnected but it's looking dreadful.
    So two things. Does anyone know if there is a bug which might cause it to look like this, and also should I prune it now instead of late winter to take out all the affected and wilted stems, in the hope it will recover in the spring. thank you all. IMG_4685.jpeg IMG_4686.jpeg IMG_4688.jpeg

2. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,524
    I probably would prune out the obviously dead bits ... and then wait till spring to see what happens. Hydrangeas can start to look a little forlorn by Oct, and the green leaves look OK apart from being limp. If they start to look worse, you could remove them rather than letting them fall to the ground, just in case the plant has a disease.

3. lizzie27

lizzie27 Super Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +1,400
    Hello @adamadamant, I'm sorry I don't know what that disease/fungal infection is but it looks pretty dreadful.
    I think the same as ViewAhead and would cut out the dead bits asap and then see what happens although I suspect your plant's a goner unfortunately.
    Hopefully others may have some better advice.