Airport Strip search

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Lyn, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
  2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I see no problem with it. It doesn't show enough detail to enable the operator to recognise the person individually. Besides, airport security is important (and at Manchester airport is currently a bit of a joke) is very important I'm sure we'll agree. We must remember that the security people don't know us individually, a terrorists don't wear uniforms, so from the point of view of the security people, anyone of the thousands of people that pass through an airport every day could potentially be a baddy, and I'm sure none of us would like to be on the same plane as a such a person.

When we fly, we've made a choice. We choose to accept that we will be subject to security checks, and at least we're told in advance what sort of thing to expect before we make that choice.

Besides, we shouldn't be ashamed. We're not being asked to parade naked in front of all and sundry for their entertainment. We'd let a doctor see us in our birthday suit if we thought it would help keep us alive and well, so why not let a discreet team of secuirity folk whose job it is to try to stop us all being blown out of the sky?

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I don't mind one way or the other. If it makes airport procedures faster so one doesn't have to turn up 3/4 hours early (for a flight to the US for example) then bring it on!

I still think the security staff will have a giggle over some of the x-rays they see. If they're sad little minds find that funny, so be it. But, despite promises that the pictures won't be saved, I bet some will be. Airports seem to have a real problem with properly controlling their contractor staff (baggage handlers anyone?).

On another note, anyone see Panorama last night, about Ryanair. Is it me, or does Michael O'Leary need a really, really good slap?

4. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I don't like the idea at all .
    If it was guaranteed to be used properly it would be a great security system , but it won't.
    You just no the images would show up on youtube.
    As said by Sussexgardener
    Airports seem to have a real problem with properly controlling their contractor staff (baggage handlers anyone?).

5. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    They don't show your face though. But even if they did end up on youtube, and you could be recognised, then it wouldn't take much to work out where they came from, then big law suits would happen.

Besides, the way I see it, if someone wants to derive some sort of strange and twisted entertainment from seeing a monochrome image of my contours, then fine. I'll do my bit by wearing clothes so as to not impose the sight of my hairy white body onto the eyes of those that don't want to see it, but if someone chooses to circumvent my efforts in discretion, well they're the ones that should be ashamed of themselves, not me.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Surprised with everyone paranoid about indecent images of children, no one has mentioned that children too will have to go through the x-ray machines. It's not unknown for terrorists to use children as bomb carriers...

Another thought, how safe are these x-ray machines? Will we see a host of claims from frequent travellers in a few years time, claiming illness from having to go through them?

As I said, I personally don't have an issue with it. I have a half decent body, frequently expose most of it at the beach and am not modest! According to the report, the staff operating the scanners won't see the person whose naked bits they see on their screen, they'll be in another room. If it saves the palaver of half undressing to get frisked by an unattractive security guard then I'm all for it. Wonder if Gatwick will introduce it?

7. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    The wife and I went on our honeymoon right when all this business about liquids and lotions etc had just kicked off. The wife had some old lip balm in her handbag that she'd completely forgotton about. She got asked if she had anything like that and innocently said 'no' because as far as she was aware she hadn't. Then they searched her bag and found the old lip balm in a little hidden pocket that she never used. It was quite tense for a while, as burly security people tried to discreetly get involved (its hard for them to be discreet when they're built like tanks and they are all converging on a couple of average build). One group ushered my wife to one corner of the room, while I was encouraged to move to another corner. A few accusing questions and hard stares happened, then they decided it was all an innocent mistake and the lip balm really wasn't 200lbs of TNT after all, but was just lip balm. We were then allowed on our way.

8. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Unless you fly home from a Spanish airport, having walked around Gibraltar that afternoon and carried a bottle of san tan lotion in one's hand luggage and forget to pack it in your hold luggage.

The thicko Spanish security guards didn't notice a bottle well over the the 100ml limit, nor carried prominently in a plastic bag. We only realised when we were sitting in the departure lunge, having gone through all the security checks. Reassuring eh?

9. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17

I couldnt have said it better myself clueless (apart from the hairy bit lol).

I wouldnt/dont care either. The way I see it is that people see almost as much as that when you are lying on the beach anyway! OH is always moaning I never shut the curtains when getting undressed but I always think that if i give some old weirdo a 30 second thrill from watching my old body getting undressed ... well he is welcome to it lol

Seriously though - anything that makes flying safer has to be good for everyone. I am the worst traveller in the world but this would be greatly improved if i didnt have to go with the fear of being blown up and never coming home!

As for images being saved and leaked out on the internet - I think the whole security itself would be so tight around this that someone wouldnt get the chance anyone because of the potential law suits if it happened.

I am not sure how I feel about it happening to children though. These lot are all nearly adults now so its not a problem but I might have felt differently to it years ago maybe. Am not sure to be honest.

10. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    Enter a new wave of butch female suicide bombers with plastic explosive prosthetic todgers [​IMG]

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Oi!! You're the same age as me!:skp::wink:

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    dont seem to have a problem with it saves you mucking about taking coats off, belts and boots and going through all that security carry on, the way forward i guess

13. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Maybe thats a hint to you then too Aaron :wink: :hehe:

My excuse (and i am sticking to it) is childbirth .... once you been through that, the body just aint the same :lollol:

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi BM. Come out of retirement, mate?:wink:
    My major fear is that I'm going to get "stalked" by all of these female scrutinants that suddenly realise what they've been missing:lollol::lollol:

15. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +407
    :hehe::gnthb: