Alan Titchmarsh and Monty Don

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Steve R, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    Alan fans will be glad to kow that he is start a new gardening series for ITV in the future, announced here

http://www.pressassociation.com/com...marsh_back_to_gardening_roots_1?camefrom=news

If you read through the article you can see that Monty Don is to replace Toby Buckland as the nations head gardener once again from spring this year. Also dropped is Alys Fowler and returning is Rachel de Thame.

Steve...:)

2. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Self Employed Landscape Gardener
    Ratings:
    +5
    I cant really say that I like or dislike Alan, but its certainly a bonus to have a new gardening program on the box! He does genuinely seem like a nice chap, and in his past gardening shows, has a sense of passion about him, which helps bring in viewers!

Its interesting what the BBC are doing with Gardeners world. I thought Toby Buckland did a great job of presenting gardeners world (not the opinion of most, i know), however, i do think that the job should most definately have gone to Carol Klein. Her enthusiasm is inspiring. She has been doing gardeners world for quite a few years now, and her current show on her own garden at Glebe Cottage has been fantastic.

Monty Don on the other hand isnt really my favourite presenter, though it is good to hear he has recovered from his illness (im not if im correct that he was ill?)
    It is also interesting to read that they have dropped Alys Fowler. After watching her own show The Edible Garden, last year, it looked as though the BBC were very much pushing for her to be a long term presenter. Not to be it seems.

It will be very interesting to see which show comes out on top this year. Myself, I will be watching both!

C4 for a gardening show as well perhaps? :)

- Luke -

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I think whoever does the show will have their work cut out. Their hands will be partially tied by the controllers of the program as were the last presenters. Alan had enough clout to be able to see off any outside pressures from the BBC and do it in his own style, which I gradually got used to and liked. Monty, I think, will do a good job with the added advantage that he will be doing it from his own sizeable place. We need more gardening programs anyway. so why don't they give Toby and partners programs of their own? By the way, I'm sure that I read somewhere that's there's a new horticultural channel coming out in March, but I'm not sure of the TV company running it.

4. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,093
    :) Great news to hear Alan back gardening on TV,he realy is a natural with a passion,a bit show bizzy at times but I can live with that.
    Pretty common knowledge about Monty back on Gardeners World,so all in all lots to look forward to........I do hope they can fit Alice in somewhere though
    :)

5. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    It would be good to see a change in the gardening programme and get away from the
    traditional 'Gardeners World' style. Whether or not Monty Don/Alan Titchmarsh/ Toby Buckland
    is the presenter, the programme seems to be more about them and their approach to gardening than
    the garden itself.

For me there should be greater concentration on how to design/plant the small garden which many of us enjoy - I have nowhere to dig out the sort of huge 'pond area' often shown, nor an 8-10 ft. deep herbaceous border, etc. I am faced with the small garden problem of whether or not to grow
    vegetables or flowers or put all to lawn and/or other options. Gardening programmes rarely look at
    these problems and although they show what could be done with large gardens I fear they do not help me..........

6. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Rachel de Thame :wub2:- I might be tuning in then :dbgrtmb:

7. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Yes I saw this article in our daily newspaper fantastic news.

8. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    in response to Barnaby

I could not agree with you more. Where it is great to see what can be achieved in a larger garden, with reference to certain plants, there should be much more time targeted towards the smaller garden.

We dont all have a 'greenacre' of our own!

That would leave me with a postage stamp lawn!

- Luke -

9. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    I wonder if the BBC have missed something here?

Gardeners World from Spring will be from Monty's own garden and will have Monty, Carol, Joe and Rachel as the presenters.

But with only 30 mins a week gardening on the television, maybe a second programme with Toby and Alys called perhaps "Greenacre", continuing with their style of gardening, from Greenacre, would be beneficial to all?

Steve...:)

10. lukenotts

lukenotts Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    That would be great. I always thought that greenacre was used as an educational tool, for demonstrational purposes, so perhaps if they did do a show purely based on greenacre, it could be more of an instructional-only based show, rather than a show where we get to admire other peoples gardens.

Would be good to keep last years presenters.

- Luke -

11. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Reading through all the comments it obvious that we all disagree on quite a few points and our "wants" of a gardening program - which is how it should be!! We all seem to agree on one thing - we want more gardening programs. Whether or not the program is an "educational", "instructional". design orientated, purely veg or just ornamental in subject you need a presenter who can enthuse and encourage all gardeners of whatever experience and level. Programs that "preach to the converted" such as us may not be the answer. Convincing the BBC and others that there is a genuine need and desire for more gardening programs is an up hill climb, particularly with the cuts that are happening. The BBC is cutting back greatly on radio services, TV programs. If the Gardeners World didn't happen such an illustrious history then I'm sure it would have disappeared down the toilet because the cuts are so deep.

12. jovi

jovi Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Gardeners World is back this Friday, I'm looking forward to seeing Carol and co, but not sure about Monty Don. He lives only 15 miles from me and although he is very knowledgeable, his reputation locally is that of someone miserable and arrogant. Maybe he'll be better for the cameras.

13. EddieJ

EddieJ gardener & Sculptor

Oak timber framer
    Ratings:
    +1,089
    In reality, pretty much any garden oriented program is good in my books whoever is presenting.

But the person that I really want to see back on the box, is Diarmuid Gavin. I rate him very highly.:)

14. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,075
    I dont think I've watched a gardening programme for about 5 yrs.

They all seemed to contain, and go over and over the same textbook approach, that I stopped watching.

Maybe I should look into one these days and see if they have changed, but they all seemed to revolve around "themes" and "plants of the moment", pea shingle at every turn, and colour schemes, god help us.

If someone announces blue clashes with purple they can take a running jump as far as I'm concerned.

As for Tich, if anybody has seen him on his other show,I think its come back now mid afternoon,(best time for it),:mad:, he seems to think he's some kind of comedian now, but fails miserably.

A programme devoted to growing plants, a bit along the lines of Geoffrey Smith's of years ago would not go a miss.
    Anyone know if he is still out there?

15. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    He died 2009 good old Geof , I liked his programmes.

Poor Toby , disposed of in the compost bin , does that mean no more Greenacre ??

Just keep Carol she gets my vote

Spruce