Alfie feeling poorly

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by clanless, Aug 13, 2017.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    This last week has been a bit of a blur.

I took Alfie for his annual health check and vaccinations mid July.

3 weeks later he stops eating.

I leave it over the weekend - he's still not eating and has lost weight - I take him to the vets.

The vet weighs him - but doesn't have a record of his weight when he went for his annual health check - alarm bells start tinkling in the distance. I say it was 5 kg and some, they weigh him at just over 5 kg and examine him. They can't find anything wrong - so he is injected with steroids and anti-biotics. I mention that the area around his eye seems redder than normal - this is dismissed by the vet. £45 bill paid.

I get him home - he perks up - but still not eating. Another visit to the vets follows. A different vet examines him again - still nothing wrong - he's given an injection to prevent nausea, some blood is taken for testing and I am given some pills to make him hungry. I'm told to put the pills in his food if I can't get him to swallow them :doh:. The vets wanted me to leave him there - they would put a drip in and observe him. I refused point blank - he's coming home with me, the poor sods been through enough. Alfie, safe at home, the vet calls to tell me they can't find anything wrong and that they want to see him again the following day (Saturday). £122 bill.

Saturday morning - he 'looks' better - he's sitting next to me nuzzling the cat treat bag. He's eating treats now and sniffing the cat food. I cancel his appointment with the vet, the area around his eye is back to normal.

Sunday morning (today) - he's got a spring in his step - he's starting on his second pouch of food.

He's been a member of the family for 2 years now - suddenly being confronted with his mortality has made me think hard about how I would deal with this situation in the future:

- I'm not taking him for any more health checks - it stresses us both out - and I have my suspicions that taking him somewhere full of sick animals is not a good idea;

- when the time comes - he will be at home;

- it will not be a case of treating Alfie simply to keep him going - he must be able to enjoy a quality of life relevant to his age. (I say this as I know someone who had to liquify food and inject it down his pets throat - not a choice I would make for Alfie);

- no operations, poking, prodding or anything of that sort - nature will take it's course;

- no euthanasia - unless Alfie is in pain which can't be controlled.

A tough week for everyone - but it's over for the time being. :phew:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,376
      I think there are some suspicions about the annual vaccinations, not sure they are always a good idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
        Ratings:
        +49,909
        Oh, my heart and thoughts are with you. Cats have owned us for more than 49 years and I still do not understand them. Mine are not eating at the moment due to our heat . Try a couple of 'people; treats ... ham, cheese, chicken and see if it perks him up ... plus lots of love, cuddles and kisses so he knows you know. xx and thoughts and hugs with Alfie. xx

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
          +577
          When their time came we have had most of our cats and dogs put to sleep at home far less distressing for them.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,618
            Alfie is his usual self today - eating food as normal - and stretched out in the sun in the back garden - what a relief for us all :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
              +577
              So pleased.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +31,885
                So pleased for all of you! Nothing more distressing than seeing them poorly and the worry of it all.
                WTG Alfie :thumbsup: :cat-kittyandsmiley:

• Friendly Friendly x 1