allotments petition

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by amg, Aug 20, 2009.

1. amg

amg Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The goverment has a website where you can sign up asking for more allotments to be released.
    The more that sign up the more likely the goverment will do something about making councils free up space for allotments.
    It certainly can't hurt to sign up.

the link is
    http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/more-allotments/sign

Alan

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,991
    A worthwhile petition. I'm none too sure about the wording:
    "and according to my research the government is breaking the law by not providing enough"

IIRC the relevant law requires local councils to provide enough allotments not the govt. But I'm being picky so I signed anyway :thumb:

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "the relevant law requires local councils to provide enough allotments not the govt."

And IIRC :) I think the law only requires councils to think about providing more ... :(

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I have signed-what does IIRC and RC mean Kristen? I am a bit of an old fart so don't know all of these acronyms and such.

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Sorry Claire ...

IIRC = If I Remember Correctly, and I stole the "RC" bit out of that for my extremely humorous reply. Or not :(

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Cheers Kristen, so IIRC I wil RC, that IIRC stands for IIRC-ok? If IIDRC, then IIRC, you will RC to tell me that IIRC means IIRC? lol ( been watching yes Prime Minister lately so I could have done a better job but it's early for me)

8. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,991
    Very good Claire, that made me laugh :lollol:

Thanks Kristen; I'm amazed that the govt has responded in advance to this petition, perhaps they see this as an easy one to dismiss, they can just wash their hands of the problem by saying its up to Local Authorities to provide enough allotments.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    t"they can just wash their hands of the problem by saying its up to Local Authorities to provide enough allotments."

I didn't read it like that ... IIRC :hehe: it says that he government will issue new/reminder guidelines to local authorities to make it clear what their obligations are - once that is done folk can decend on local authorities like a ton of bricks, I imagine??

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,991
    I hope you are right Kristen, that would mean the govt are listening to us and doing something about it, that would be a new experience for me anyway :)

11. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I've signed it. I was after an allotment, but apparently the nearest available one is about 15 miles away and for the nearer ones there is a 3 year waiting list. The trouble is because there are (apparently) some available within the area covered by our council, they could argue that there is enough already. No good to those without a car, and particularly annoying considering there are great chunks of land standing empty, completely neglected, not far from us.

12. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
  13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    thanks amg ive signed up, put my name on council list for local allotment and they said it will take up to 3 years wait for my area.

14. cymro

cymro Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    look at this website, nsalg.org.uk,
    it basically says
    if sufficient people in town/village want an allotment, the council "by law"have to find suitable site for those in need

15. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    The law says the council have to do more than just think about it. If there is a need from the ratepayers then they have to actively try to meet that need. Trouble is the council play at being stupid, or in my local area they are both incompetent and stupid. The main problem is that many councils are breaking the law but how do you get the law to be enforced? I spoke to the legal advisor at the National Allotments Association and when i asked about what you do with a council that refuses to carry out its legal obligations he suggested that they could be taken to a county court. But who would be prepared to do that?
    If it came to such a court case then the council would have to produce evidence that they had actively searched for land to use as allotments.