alocasia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by chilli50, Apr 17, 2006.

1. chilli50

chilli50 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi. can anyone tell me the difference between an alocasia and a colcasia? i thought the alocasia was a form of elephants ear? can anyone give me any instructions on how to care for an alocasia polly? i bought one several months ago. its in a pot in my front room. should it be outside?
    thanks to any advice given

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    have a look here - think it answers your questions! There was a thread on this, re the difference between this plant and Bergenia, as both plants are called Elephant's ears!! http://mgonline.com/alocasia.html

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I've not grown either myself but I dont think there is much between them.
    Dont think it should be outside yet.
    Pretty sure someone on here grows Alocasia outside, but not in north Yorkshire.

4. chilli50

Ratings:
    +0
    hi. thanks for your help. i have narrowed it down to 2. aither alocasia amazonica or superbis. either way it needs to be in the garden. thanks again

5. chilli50

Ratings:
    +0
    sorry not superbis, veitchi. should try looking harder lol

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I personally have never heard of anyone trying A Amazonica outside. They require high humidity and dappled shade. Colocasias and xanthasoma yes but any Alocasia, Veitchii/Polly/Green Velvet/Chantrei/Watsoniana etc would be risky. [​IMG]

7. chilli50

Ratings:
    +0
    hi strongy. as far as i can tell from the link above from dendi it think it should be in a shaded part of the garden but i could be wrong. i cant seem to find any details on polly so if you can give me any advice it would be appreciated as im sure that this is the version i bought. [​IMG]

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    I have only grown Alocasias under glass so I have no expreience of growing them outside and personally I wouldn't try to. I had never heard of Poly untill your post but looking at pics of it it appears to a hybrid of Amazonica/Sanderiana or similar.I have not grown them for many years so I am not familiar with modern cultivars, I don't know if Alocasia Cuprea has reached the retail market yet, I grew some when they were a rarety and is still a spectacular plant [​IMG]