1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aloe

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Gay Gardener, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,978
    aloea.jpg

Wonder if anyone can help. I'm a succulent novice so know little. I've had this aloe quite a while, it used to live in a bright room with decent heating in indirect sunlight and it was fine.
    A couple of months ago I moved it to a south facing direct sun garden room but it is unheated.
    It immediately went very pale over a matter of days and stayed that way for a while, but has recently started to get its green colour back but it still doesn't look right.

It is in too much direct sunlight? (I thought direct was best). Or is it chilly? Or?

Thanks.
    GG

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,320
    its been chilled I have one lives on the kitchen window sill all year round full sun when we have it , gets its last water in November and if its lucky may have one in February.

Should bounce back but don't over water keep on the dry side this time of year or the roots will rot , when is the last time you gave it a drink ?

Spruce

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,636
      I've found the brown colouration can be caused by two things, low temperatures, but also direct sunlight on a plant that is not used to it.

I have a plant of Aloe vera in a cold frame on the allotment, its still green, mainly because its been there for more than a year and is acclimatised to cold and full sun.

Many house grown succulents do show that as tough as they are, they dont take being moved around without acclimatisation.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        Thanks both. @Spruce I think I watered it about two weeks ago, not much though.

I wondered why it has turned almost white within days of being moved, so maybe it was general shock. I thought they were tough as old boots, but obviously need thoughtful care, so that is good to know for the future.
        I think I may move it into a partly heated room for the winter as the garden room does get cold.

Cheers
        GG

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,636
          Anywhere above zero, should be OK.
          Its more about acclimatisation really.

And as Spruce says, the colder you keep it the dryer it should be at the roots.

• FloraPie

FloraPie Gardener

Ratings:
          +295
          I knew I would find an answer for my sad Aloe Vera here at GC :biggrin: :hapydancsmil: