Alstromeria cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Aug 18, 2005.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    For the first time I have acquired two Alstromeria, and I really like them. I have two plants of the short Princess series, kept in reasonably large pots, and they look magnificent. Everyone likes them and wants a cutting.

Can you take cuttings? My book only says propogation by division in spring. But maybe someone has experience otherwise.

2. brazil

brazil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i did try a couple of year ago but with no success but division is very good about 10 plants from 1 plant and they all survive the princess series are beautiful not too straggly :D :D

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks Brazil. How hardy are they - I was put off in the past by dubious hardiness. But this year I have tried several tender perennials for the first time - Diascia, Nemesia, Osteospermum, Argyranthemum, Heliotrope. I am really impressed with them and their long flowering. I have yet to think about the overwintering problem, but what the heck - in for a penny, in for a pound. Peter.

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Pete you may find that overwintering close to the house wall - in containers may lessen the risk. I have overwintered cassia, sesbania and a couple of other plants from Florida this way with some success. (they wouldn't fit in the greenhouse [​IMG] )