Alternative pond ideas

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by slugbug, Sep 27, 2005.

1. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    We have a pond aprox 9 feet x 11 feetIt has been leaking and we have several attempts at repair to the butyl liner. We are looking fo an alternative pond something like a large cattle drinking container like the cows have in the fields. Any idea how much they are and where you can buy them.
    We have 52 goldfish some very big.Good pump and filterin use but need to top up pond every day for 1/2 hr with fresh water.Need to sort out before winter. Any ideas we just want something more reliable and not too expensive.Dont like the moulded ponds in the garden centre all quite shallow in depth.
    Jacqui :confused:

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    There is a topic in here somewhere about alternatives. Remember one was a plastic water tank as used in roof space.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    [​IMG] Try your local yellow pages for farm & agricultural supplies, they will stock or be able to price for any size trough [​IMG]

4. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you have a straight edged pond make sure animals such as hedgehogs can't fall in and drown.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +93,117
    What about those plastic containers they use on building sites for mortar, might be difficult to get hold of though, unless you know a builder.
    Think I'd find a temporary home for the fish and buy a new liner and lay it on top of the old one. That is providing you still want the pond where it is now.

6. GARDENANGEL

GARDENANGEL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It would be easier just to replace the liner, most come with 20/25year guarantee. My pond is roughly the same size but 5ft deep, I had it fibreglassed to take away the worry of leaks. its worth a thought!!

7. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    When I built my pond I concreted the bottom 4" then coated the sloping sides with 2 coats of sharp sand and cement 7ft x 4ft 30" deep "2 thick. I purchased some medium chopped matting and resin with a hardener from a local factory [ can be bought online] Method:- Cut matting to fit bottom, mix up resin, coat bottom, add matting and stipple in with stiff brush eliminating air bubbles.Allow 2" overlap and repeat procedure for sides, If you are really keen repeat procedure with a fine matting. NB make sure there are no dry areas. Mine is about 15 years old and no problems at all. If you are a resonable diy person you will not find it difficult at all.