1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Alternative to peat for John Innes mixes

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ChilliPepper, Jan 21, 2018.

1. ChilliPepper

ChilliPepper Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    I'm going to mix my own John Innes compost again this year and I'm again looking for an alternative to peat. I need something to replace the water and nutrient retention properties of peat. I've used composted garden waste and well-rotted horse manure in the past but these throw out the carefully formulated John Innes nutrient formula.

The RHS mention wood fibre, Coir and biosolids from sewage treatment. Wood fibre and Coir will have a fairly low nutrient value but I suspect biosolids will be much richer.

Has anyone tried other things as a peat replacement? Maybe the composted waste from the local recycling centre? I guess this stuff, as a soil conditioner, is fairly nutrient high?

Any thoughts for a peat substitute my John Innes mixes would be great.

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I believe Irish Moss Peat is still available. I use a mixture of multi purpose compost, sometimes sifted for a finer grade. I add to this about the same amount by volume coir. Sometimes I add conifer needles (leaves) that are well browned. If the compost is intended for pots and containers, a few handfulls of Perlite are added. Plus a few handfulls of course grit. I am of the old school and so my mixing is partly by volume and the rest by what looks good to me.

My friend Richard Hyde, H W Hyde & Son. Lilies. He has trialed a compost made from Bracken supplied by, Dalefoot Composts. The results are for all to see. Check out Gold Medal winners at the Chelsea Show.

As a PS. For lily lovers. Remember,Oriental lilies prefer an acid compost. Asiatics prefer mainly an alkaline compost but some will tolerate acid. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  3. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,508
    Sorry, but there are no alternatives to @pete :heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2