Alternative to peat-free compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by CostasK, Jul 16, 2022.

1. CostasK

CostasK Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    Hi,

I'm keen to avoid the use of peat and so far I've tried 2 peat-free composts, a cheap one from Aldi (about £3/bag) which didn't seem great, and a much better one from my local garden center (Melcourt SylvaGrow, I think it was £8/bag).

I have plants mostly in the ground and also on rockeries, only a few in containers.

I know it's probably not as simple as that, but could I not mix topsoil with manure for extra nutrition and potting grit for drainage instead?

Anything else I should consider adding? (e.g. some slow release fertiliser?)

Thank you.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    In the old days gardeners usually made their own potting compost and each presumably had their own recipe.
    John Innes compost was created to come up with a standard formula and you can still buy it today.

It varies in texture often, but the nutrient levels should be correct depending on which number it is.

Might be worth looking up the formula and get some ideas.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1