Am I too late to grow peas?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by clueless1, Aug 6, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Can I plant some peas outside and expect a crop this year, or am I too late?

Cheers

2. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    I'd have said late(ish) June was about the last date to be sure of a crop round about October time - but you might be lucky.

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm bringing some on in the greenhouse for planting out in a week or so, chose an early variety, "Early Onwards" perhaps and give them some protection outside.

We were picking in November last year, so if we get another Welsh Summer you might be ok.

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    I have trays of Kelvedon Wonder ready for planting out tomorrow.:thumbsup: As Ziggy says, you should get away with Early Onward for a late autumn picking, but get them in NOW.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I have a couple of trays of Hursts Greenshaft and Mange Tout, sown a week ago for my last crop this season. They have germinated very quickly and need to get planted asap - so you should be able to do it clueless.

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    I got some seeds from B&Q a couple of days ago. The ones I chose said they could be sown until the end of July, so I guess I'm only a few days behind that. I'll get them in tomorrow. I'm going to sow them en-masse straight into the ground. If we get a few pods it will be a bonus. I'm not expecting a bumper crop, but if we get a few pods it will help keep my young son interested.