AMATEUR GARDENING MAGAZINE - SEEDS

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Jan 27, 2011.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Just thought everyone might like to know that the Amateur Gardening Magazine starts attaching free seeds to it's cover as of next week. I buy the magazine quite regularly and it's not bad - now it's even better with free seeds.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, bet they won't still be on the ones I raid from the paper bank. Its the cheapest way to get magazines around here.:WINK1:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    :rofl: glad it's not only me that does that sort of thing :thumb:

4. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :) I have Gardening Amateur delivered every Saturday morning by post,it's great expectation as it lands on the mat to see what seeds are there.......This has enabled me to try seeds that I would never normaly grow......The joy of gardening.
    I pay just over £15 every three months direct debit to have this delivered to my door weekly, a great little magazine and pretty good value......:dbgrtmb:

5. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Ziggy, you're a proper pirate!! But while you've been doing that I've in your dustbins!

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Aaaarrrr :D

You've what in my dustbins!!:what::scratch::D

Will raid the paperbank tommorow at dawn, dressed as a yucca plant, that always makes people look the other way:dbgrtmb:

7. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    But I was told you always dress like that!

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh, but not with a blindfold.

9. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    Well, if you see anything that looks battered, tatty and of absolutely no use to anyone, in there don't just throw it back in as it's probably me.

10. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Now, now. No low self esteem at the begining of the planting season.

We've got the whole year to look forward to yet.

Just been reading a bit of Joy Larcoms book about oriental vegetables. I was looking for a rediculosly long cucurbit that I bought from an Indian market trader in Tooting. It was about 5 foot long, an inch and a half wide & the nearest I could work out what he was calling it was a "Bhalanga"

Couldn't find it.

But i did read an interesting bit about eating pea shoots. Apparently the shhots taste the same as the peas, anyone else tried these ?

Now peas come up really well on the window sill so i'm going to buy a half kilo of dried peas from the health food shop & get a load on the go just for cutting as fresh greens, should bridge the gap till the first mange tout are ready.

11. ARMANDII

Ratings:
    +100,838
    We somehow drifted away from the original thread [your fault Ziggy!!} of getting free seeds with the Amateur Gardening magazine!! My point was that for the new gardener and those that buy gardening magazines it's not bad, and saves a lot of money, to get 38 free packets of seed with a magazine over the year.

12. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Does this magazine of which you speak have design tips and project ideas in it?

I'm one of those that knows nowt but is willing to put in the hard work if someone else comes up with the ideas.

13. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    Today we have Portulaca HHA flower seeds free,never grown them before ,don't know much about them,seems like they are ok for sunny borders,rockery,tubs and knowing me I will try them in baskets.
    Any one else grown them?

[hr]

Yes Clueless it does.

14. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    http://www.garden-centre.org/plants/Portulaca.htm

Roders it looks like it may be a nice basket plant . I have never seen this magazine or these flowers , but I think I will buy one today , for the free seeds (just love that word free !:thumbsup:)

15. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    PEA SHOOTS.

Yes Ziggy, I grow pea shoots and very good they are.
    Just plant the peas shoulder to shoulder in a pot - on the windowcill is fine.
    When they come up 4 or 5 inches you can cut them. They do taste like fresh peas. You can eat them raw or add to stir fries.
    The peas will shoot about 3 times before giving in.
    Enjoy.