An old bath

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Transkeisue, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Transkeisue

Transkeisue Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, new to this site. Am a keen, but very amateur gardener. The plumber ripped out my metal bath today - I'm keen to have a pond. Will it work? Any advice?

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Hi Transkeisue, have a look at January photo competition.Steve has the answer ;)
    And welcome. [​IMG]

[ 10. January 2006, 07:35 PM: Message edited by: Paladin ]

3. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
  4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Sorry Paladin, overlapped, great mind s think alike!

5. Transkeisue

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - the pond looks great in the photo. What plants would you suggest for in the water. Lilies?

6. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    If you are near a garden centre with an aquatic section then you should be able to buy some water plants, or cadge some of any friends with ponds

I set plants around the edges to disguise the giveaway bathtub shape [​IMG] these are hebe's and ivy, small ferns and hostas (the only problem with hostas is they disappear in winter)

7. Transkeisue

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, its your bath pond in the photo. It looks great. What kind of paint did you use so that it didn't damage the plantlife? have you put diferent things in to change the depth in places - eg rocks?

8. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think it was a black enamel spray can, doesn't need to be sprayed just that I thought white would stick out and also look like a bath tub.....plants are ok with it but I would think it would need a few months before fish could be introduced

It has the water fern Azolla
    http://www.bioimages.org.uk/HTML/P4/P43108.HTM floating on the surface (its a bit prettier than duckweed [​IMG] ) and so there are no plants that require certain depths...just gravel on the bottom

9. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +748
    Quite a bit of work digging the hole for it. Make sure you get it resonably level. Quite soon it will become home to frog and friends.

10. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Yep - it's gettin' near the time for my annual bath!. Can I just ask that you put a piece of log or summat dipped into the pondbath so's me and the mates can get out again. It's just I'm getting a bit stiff now and the legs ain't what they used to be and little taddies these days don't have a clue and last year old Hedgepig, 'e got a real fright when 'e fell in an.... Yes dear! .... Err.... No dear! .... Has he tried a shoe horn? .... Ok Ok.

Sorry have to go - Toad's got stuck in the hole.

Again!

11. Sara Mary

Sara Mary Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, when having fish in a pond you need to look for plands that help i.e you can get oxygen weed - not sure if thats the correct name but it puts oxygen in the water for the fish - also some snails that clean up the fish waste - all makes a nicer environment.