AND THEN THERE WERE SEVEN!!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Aug 13, 2012.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I kept ignoring my old Musa Dwarf Cavendish as it has seem to have stopped still in the fruiting mode but the sibling Musa have been growing quite strongly at the base. So today I decided to separate them from the main plant and pot them on:

[​IMG]

and ended up with seven viable plants with roots.........where they're going to go I've no idea!!:heehee:

I also have a Musa Mannii that I sowed from seed this Spring and it's slowly coming on:

[​IMG]

also a Musa Coccinea sowed this Spring. But this one has sat for months not making a move while in the Green House. So I moved it into the outdoors this week where it seem to appreciate the cooler conditons and has now started to make growth after I was beginning to think it was down and out.

[​IMG]

The Red Banana seems to like it in the Green House so it can stay there.

[​IMG]

Which leaves the two Dwarf Musa that I bought from Lidl's at a bargain price. I've repotted them and they're sitting in the borders quite happily, but not exactly putting on a lot of growth. makes it interesting though:heehee:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,386
      Youve done really well there!7!! :dbgrtmb: all looking great :blue thumb: my red banana is wind battered but im not bothered its still throwing leaves out :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
      • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
        Ratings:
        +2,250
        Looking good Armandii!! I do like the red bananas but never can overwinter one. I didn't get one this year though. Oh and the basjoo you sent me last year is looking pretty good! Not very big but I'm pleased I got it through last winter. I've got another musa growing in the house which is doing well.

• Like Like x 3
        • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,998
          Armandii really nice collection , I just bought a musella myself , it would look great in flower if I will ever manage to reach the 5 years required.

Catztail , I have overwinter mine in the greenhouse and they took -4 , I`ve notice that if the plant is overwinter indoor , it will die more easely.

• Like Like x 1
          • catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
            Ratings:
            +2,250
            The ones I've brought inside were the young basjoo last winter and this other musa which I bought as a houseplant last autumn. The red banana I tried in the greenhouse. That one died. The musa are both doing fine!

• Like Like x 1
            • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,091
              I think that you'll be needing a larger kitchen this winter!!!

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              I reckon you're right, longk:heehee: The trouble is I'm always curious about how to grow one plant or another, consequently I have to try!!!:snork: I must admit I've just had a look on the Jungle Seeds site as one of the three Bananas I sowed this Spring [Ensete Superbum] failed completely to germinate, yet the one variety I questioned over the viability of the seeds with Jungle Seeds [the seeds floated in water] actually germinated.:dunno: So I'll be trying to sow and germinate Ensete Superbum, [and maybe a couple of other varieties!!] soon, I guess.:snork:

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,998
              Armandii , last sunday I went to my local garden center , I wish I`ve never did , they had a collection of ethiopian banana at £3 each , there was maurelii , montebeliardii , ventricosum and I`ve notice this pretty one completely lime green with red in the middle , the more I look at ensete superbum , the more it look like the banana I saw in the garden center .
              I think with the money you spend in seeds you can buy one as they are available from hollands grower.
              last year I`bought lods of seeds from JS and half of them didn`t germinate , and the other half i would say 3 out of 10 , looking back with the money I spend in seeds i would have bought more plants then I got .
              superbum in flower
              [​IMG]
              my bargain
              [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,838
                That's true, Sal.:snork: But I find the satisfaction and intrigue of sowing "hard to germinate" seeds so compelling:heehee: But, I am glad that with modern agricultural technology we're able to get our hands on such exotic plants at such cheap prices, ten years ago we wouldn't have dreamt it possible!!:coffee:

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +4,015
                Armandii - thats a wonderful bonus. I have never really had a go with Bananas - though I recently bought a maurelli. Do they need a lot of heat, or will they thrive in a poor summer like this? There is a limit to how many things you can grow in a greenhouse.

Sal - that superbum in flower is awesome. If you get a flower, does this mean that you will get fruit?

• Like Like x 1
                • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,998
                  armandii , I`ve seen tissue cultivation in the orchids farm in Thailand , it didn`t look hard , has you like challenge why don`t you try home made tissue cultivation ?

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,998
                  they are not real bananas plant but just related to bananas , it`s called superbum for it majestic flower , and not because look like Jlo :loll:.
                  The red banana is a super plant , mine are looking great even with the bad weather.
                  look at mine .
                  [​IMG] Peters btw got some musa basjoo seedling.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  Well, I've had many challenges, Sal, but never one to try tissue cultivation:heehee: Well, to be honest I do have a professional Microscope set up including dishes, jars, tubes , etc , that was given to me when a Client closed down a large Chemical site about 4 years ago. I do actually use it to look at plant tissue that's been affected by different diseases throughout the year, as well as the different insects attacking the plants.

That was a very interesting video, just a pity there was no running commentary. I noticed the guy was using a scalpel used for Model making and not a surgical one, but it works. He was also sterilising the pincer forceps and scalpel by placing them in a flame, which works but there are better, surer ways.:dunno: Anyway, I have the time and equipment, I just need the inclination!!:snork:

• sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,998
                  the tissue cultivation is pointing all the hard to germinate plants.
                  You like your bargains with plants when they are cheap , can you actually tell which is which ? Seeds or Tc?
                  Those peoples are smart enough to gave up seeds culture and start tissue cultivation
                  because they can make more money , some bananas seeds takes up to 6 months to germinate , while tissue cultivation can produce up to 30 plants from a single cell in less then 2 weeks.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,838
                  I see your point, Sal:snork: But us gardeners are a funny bunch and the harder a plant is to germinate seedwise, or grow in a climate that it shouldn't flourish in is like pollen to a bee....and succeeding on however a small basis is like a Gold Medal!!!:heehee:
                  No, I can never tell which is seed grown or tissue cultivated.....but to be honest it has never bothered me. If tissue cultivation can give us more and more different exotic plants I look forward to it.:coffee: