Anemone de Caen (Anemone coronaria)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Apr 14, 2009.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Does anyone have experience or knowledge of these. I bought a packet in the past and sowed them, but only about 2 or 3 of them grew. But those do seem to keep coming back.

I recently bought a packet of 100 mixed bulbs for £1 !, which included 25 of these Anemones. I sowed all 25 in a large pot, and it appears that almost all of them have produced green shots. I was planning to lift them after flowering and replant in a permanent position, but a neighbour has just told me that they don't like to be moved. Is there any truth in this, as I still have another bag of them to plant?

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Put them straight in the ground Peter and leave them to their own devices.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I think they would be better planted in the Autumn, but that apart I don't remember hearing that they dislike being transplanted. But given my age and memory that advice is worth precisely what you paid for it!!

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I think I got this pack as well (Pound Shop?). I mixed up the Oxalis Cross and Anemone de Caen...so, do you have a pic of the green shoots coming up that are the Anemone?:help: Or describe them?

I planted what I think are the anemone in pots so will plant out in the border soon. Oh yes, and the Liatris are coming up well too:thumb:

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks David and Kristen for your helpful replies. I have had a Google and I don't see why there should be a probem in lifting them. I think I will put them in pots for the time being, it gives me time to work out exactly where I want them.

SussesG - that pack is really good value for money - even if the bulbs are too small to flower this year. I just had a look at them this afternoon - but its a bit late for a photo now. My Anemones are showing palish green leaves, which are very finely divided at the moment. The Oxalis, which I haven't grown before has rather brown looking leaves (actually they don't look that healthy). The leaves are bigger and fatter and a more traditional shape, and I think they are in the form of a cross - ie you see four leaves from the top.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Ok, confirmed what they are, thanks! I am hopeful they'll flower :)