Angel Wings senecio - propagating cuttings

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Blue arbour, Sep 2, 2024.

1. Blue arbour

Blue arbour Super Gardener

Retired and loving it
    Ratings:
    +960
    I noticed 3 broken pieces of my Angel wings senecio plant on the ground in front of the potted mother plant today (cleanly broken off). I’m not sure what did it, but suspect a clumsy wood pigeon, as we get a lot in the garden.

Anyway, my question is, how can I best propagate these 3 pieces? I’ve popped them into a jar of water for now, and wonder if they will root like this in the water or will it be better to take them out and let the stems callous over and then place them into small pots of well draining compost (with plenty of added grit). I’m concerned that they might rot if left in the water?

I’ve never propagated angel wings before, so will be grateful for any advice for the best way of doing it from any one of you who may already have done so.

Thank you.

2. CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
    Ratings:
    +4,847
    I think you're right @Blue arbour - they are so covered with silvery hairs, they would probably rot. So your idea of lots of added grit sounds sensible - I'd almost suggest putting in pure grit or perlite.
    I love the plant, but my garden is so damp, it's failed twice, so I'm not trying again.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I've tried and failed propagating this using cuttings and layering. I'd be very interested if it works using a really gritty mix. I have managed to split big clumps into smaller chunks and found that works provided you take chunks with plenty of roots.

I like them but they are slug magnets worse than hostas.