Anglesey Abbey

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Fran, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    A wonderful 20 century garden - now owned by the National Trust. Situated in Lode outside Cambridge. Its winter garden is wonderful, the herbacious borden garden set in Yew hedges is supposed to be the best in Europe, and there are the vistas and trees. Tis well worth a visit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anglesey Abbey garden is famous for, amongst other things, the Snowdrop display in the Spring. The winter garden is a pleaseant stroll too. We did it last Friday and saw these. Like an idiot I didn't write down what they were.

[​IMG]

3. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Now I seem to remember Pete posting a picture of something similar - name that plant with the anwer.

Tis a lovely garden Nik though isn't it. Well worth a visit - and the food ain't bad either :D

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,062
    Nik, thats Rosa sericea ptericantha.

5. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Pete
    Cheers. They had it written up on a notice board, but I didn't pay attention, too miffed that the 2 seater electric scooter was "out".
    I will be by there sometime real soon, so I'll call in and check :D :D

Fran
    Yes it is a lovely garden. Even though we have lived nearby since 1975, we never got to visit the house till last Friday, despite regular visits to the garden, and the lawn for Jazz performances.
    Since it is Trafalgar Week, may I reveal that in the library I spotted a very slim volume titled "300 Years of French Architecture" :D :D :D True.
    Nik

6. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lovely photos Fran !!
    Nik, don't tell me they've let you back into the library ;) ;) ML !!!

7. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ML

Traitor!!

I thought I detected a whiff of Chanel. :D :D

Nik (back to the eerie)

PS What took you so long?

Just for the record. ML lives in southern France, and I would like to live in Spain. We vie with each other as to who's sparkling wine is entitled to be called Cava. :D

8. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Nik,

Yes No. 5 that's me !!! ;) ;)
    The reason why I was late, traffic in the UK as usual !!

I hope you're not trying to disguise your Cava as the real McCoy ... to these charming people ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hello everyone...sorry not have introduced myself earlier ....but had to get back at Nik...he likes to bait !!! Gardening here in southern France is a pleasure and a vast change from our gardening days of 12 years ago in Lancashire !! the "problem" here is not too much rain but the sunshine...but surrounded with Oleanders, Mimosas, Bottle Brush bushes, lemons (which do need extra care sometimes!) and roses which are still budding and blooming...we cope !!! Will have a good look around the site and pop back with any questions and perhaps some answers ...... ML

9. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mona Lisa
    Cava is �£2.92 a bottle in Tescos today, plus another 5% off if you buy six at a time. It is the wine of choice to wash down fish and chips or chinese takeaway. Can't say that about this Mcoy stuff you go on about.
    Were England to win the Ashes and Cambridge to win the boat race in the same year, then I might just lash out on a bottle. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oops. I meant to say lovely photos Fran. Sorry.