Animals/birds attacking Dahlias

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by EnglishmanCFC, Jul 22, 2016.

1. EnglishmanCFC

EnglishmanCFC Gardener

Ratings:
    +23
    I've got a dahlia plant growing outside mine, which has plenty of buds, but as of Tuesday, had just one flower and one bud that was beginning to flower.

I come home Wednesday and find that something has taken the flower off, about an inch below the head, as well as the bud that was flowering. Looks like it was torn. Both flowers were purple.

Anyone know of a bird or animal that would do this? The flower was found about 4 foot away. For the sake of my neighbours, this needs to be an animal or bird that did this...

2. Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
    Ratings:
    +6,224
    I had buds disappearing year before last, found out it was earwigs. So if its in a pot check underneath and give it a good soaking they should run out of the holes in the bottom. They will return though.

Why for the sake of your neighbours, is it your plant or theirs? Sounds deliberate tbh, maybe a young kid thinking "oh that's pretty" and then chucking it.. it happens :noidea: :redface: