Annuals sown in autumn

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by PeterS, Aug 27, 2006.

1. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    As a result of reading of some of Christopher Lloyds exploits, I have just sown some annuals in late August as an experinent. Being:-

Ammi majus, Campanula medium (canterbury bells), Centaurea cyanus (cornflower), Cerinthe major var purpascens (honeywort), Consolida regalis (larkspur), Cynoglosum amabile (chinese forget me nots), Digitalis Excelsior hybrids (foxgloves), Nemophila menziesii (californian bluebell)

Does anyone have experiance of sowing these or any other annuals at this time of year? And what does it do to their normal plowering period.

2. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    HI Peter, I just swallowed most of C. L's books, tempted with the Ammi majus, just a word of caution, I know you are an expert seed grower, I tried as you probably know the Patrina which I eventually got going, but I am still awaiting it to flower. then I read that it needs a hot summer - well they don't get much hotter up here!

I have planted canterburry bells, and three rows of other seeds which I forget, they are already through but covered in weeds.

I am tempted to pot strong ones up and bring them inside, I am already beginning to think this is wrong for northern climate.

I hold C.L in great respect and reverance, but we have very different conditions to Dixter and I am sure he would be the first person to adapt to them.

Just my 2 penneth!

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Waco. I think your Patrina is perennial, isn't it. In which case it should do better in the second year, but it is frustrating to have to wait.

You have a good point about the climate. I have sown my seeds in trays, and will overwinter them under glass. But I still wonder if our climate will allow them to be large enough to flower in May and June next year. I can only try. As you will appreciate I am still chasing this elusive concept of successional planting.

I am touched by your faith in my seedsmanship, but I had my fair share of failures this year. I think the key is perseverance, and mine is a bit patchy. I was reading Beth Chatto, who said that she always left trays of seedlings two years before abandoning them. And I remember Christopher Lloyd saying that on one occasion he had to buy a minimum amount of half a kilo of one type of seed, and just one seed germinated!

4. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    I did sow carnation seeds this morning.Hopefully they shall germinate for me.

Am I too early for next yrs plants.

5. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We sowed a wild flower grass mix last weekend and threw in some poppies, cornflowers, scabious etc for good measure which I found at the back of the drawer. All the flower seeds were at least 2 years past their sow by date. They haven't germinated yet, am I being too impatient! Fingers crossed that something flowers next year.