Another General Election?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Kandy, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Just seen on the BBC news that we are having another General Election on June 8th.Dont know what this is all about:scratch:

• Like Like x 2
      Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +48,879
      It's all Nicola Sturgeon's fault - she played the "at least I was elected by the people, and therefore have a mandate" card, and that coupled with all the other dissenters have pushed Theresa May to the point where she feels she needs to get the elephant out of the room for once and for all. Once she wins, she will turn round and tell the rest to put up and shut up basically.

Some might say it is a bit risky, but to be honest, is it really? Corbyn isn't competition of any form and his party is in disarray; the Lib Dems might be gaining some ground back, but people have long memories and won't forgive them for going in with the Tories the last time around. As for UKIP - well, they are almost in as much a mess as Labour.

It is the usual story, we will end up voting for the least sh*t one, as there isn't a decent one amongst them.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,376
        Got to think it is basically down to the Brexit remoaners.

Far to many just will not accept the outcome of the referendum and want to "leave" the EU but at the same time remain in it.:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

She needs clear support from the country, in order to silence the remoaners.

God help us if May loses this election, I think then we really will be on the scrap heap.:mad:

Things regarding Brexit are just too negative as they are at the moment, any negotiations will not be negotiations, as such, but a acceptance of what ever crumbs the EU want to give us, due to the opposition from within the MPs in the commons, not to mention that bunch of privileged old dodderers in the other house.

• Agree Agree x 5
        • Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I'm not voting for someone who thinks their imaginary friend wants Britain to leave the EU :th scifD36:

Oh wait, I can't vote because homeless people don't get the vote anyway :doh:

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,879
            I really do not have a clue which way to go - being a Scot, voting Tory is akin to soaking oneself in petrol and then jumping into a bonfire. Labour and Corbyn are nothing more than a bad joke, the Lib Dems shafted us the one time I gave my vote to them, so that leaves UKIP who have neither the campaign funding, nor the skills to be in government. :noidea:

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +84,376
              Get the petrol ready FC.

If you can afford it, that is.:snork:

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,474
                My voting paper will be in the compost bin soon after it hits the door mat

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
                  Ratings:
                  +6,224
                  Think my old man would disown me if I voted Tory :snork: I have no faith in other parties.. Labour are shambolic at the moment and having been under them for God knows how long in my constituency and seen nowt positive.. Think I'll vote Plaid Cymru..:noidea: not that my vote "counts"

• Like Like x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                    +28,996
                    • Informative Informative x 2
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
                      Ratings:
                      +10,739
                      Given the sheer unpredictability of politics over the past couple of years and the fact that the polls are usually completely wrong, here are the Trunky predictions.

• No party will have an overall majority, Labour will gain the most seats and will form a coalition government with Ukip.
                      • Nicola Sturgeon will refuse to accept the result of the election and will invade Northumberland.
                      • The Monster Raving Loony Party will take Clacton and Jeremy Corbyn will appoint their leader, Howling Laud Hope as foreign secretary.
                      • Donald Trump will annexe Aberdeenshire and install nuclear warheads on his golf course, in the interests of international security.
                      • Kent will declare independence and apply for membership of the EU.
                      Perhaps I should set up a poll on which of the above will actually happen. :snork:

• Funny Funny x 8
                      • Agree Agree x 2
                      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +100,834
                        I've been a life time Labour voter but I cannot vote Labour while Corbyn and his Thugs are leading the party.:wallbanging::dunno:.
                        But let's take a step back, forget which party is in power as it's not about Labour, the Liberal Democrats, UKIP, the Conservatives, SNP, etc, despite those not in power wanting it to be.
                        So, in my view, this election is not about domestic issues but solely about BREXIT and Theresa May wanting her own Mandate and not Cameron's. So why has Theresa May called an election? As FC has pointed out the "Wicked Witch of the North" jibed that she is the elected Leader of the SNP and First Minister while Theresa May was voted in by the Conservative MP's and not by the country, and I think that underlined what May already knew would make her vulnerable to attacks from the other political parties.
                        I'm pretty sure that she, or anyone else, didn't think that Cameron would call for a Referendum on the EU. But he did and he lost, leaving Theresa May and us are where we are, trying to leave the EU with the best deal we can horse trade for. I think May was truthful in saying that she was reluctant to change her mind about not holding a General Election until 2020 and that the very people who are criticising her for doing so are the very people who pushed her into deciding to call a snap election.
                        So is this election about domestic issues?, I don't believe so, but I'm sure the other parties will try to make it so. In my opinion the over riding priority is being able to have a Leader who has the Mandate from the people to negotiate BREXIT with the full authority that other parties have tried to undermine by saying she hasn't got that at the moment.
                        I'm not a Conservative, or really a political animal, at heart but taking into consideration that we are in History changing times and there are no other viable political parties on the horizon I will vote for Theresa May. Note that I haven't said I will vote for the Conservatives, but for Theresa May, in order to give our present Prime Minister the full powers she needs to deal with the present situation that affects all of us. She's taking a risk as she could end up with less of a majority rather than an increase.
                        Take away the personal Political Parties loyalties and I think Theresa May is very probably the right person, in the right place, in the right time. I look at the other Leaders of the other Political Parties.........and the surer I am. Labour, Conservative, Liberal Democrats, SNP, UKIP, etc, that issue for the present time is, for me, irrelevant. There's a huge political deal to be done so if you want to vote for May, Corbyn, Dodds, Farron, Lucas, etc then exercise your hard won rights, just remember this election is more linked to what happens in the BREXIT negotiations than the narrower domestic issues that some political parties will want you to believe and will campaign for.:dunno::coffee::snork: Nobody wants another election......but we've got one.:dunno:
                        As an aside, we're not the only countries undergoing political upheaval, change, and elections. This seems to be a time in Global history where great changes are being made by other countries, similar to 1914, the 1930's and like. I'm not thinking of War just in the great political changes that alter the course of countries drastically which almost seem cyclic throughout history.:snorky:

• Like Like x 4
                        • Agree Agree x 4
                          Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
                        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +45,643
                          As usual I'll be voting with my feet.

I just wish they would make those stubby pencils a bit longer as I can never get them between my toes properly.

• Funny Funny x 7
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +100,834
                            [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                              +28,996
                              If she wins, will those who currently want a second referendum continue to demand one? And would she treat a win like a second referendum with an increased majority?

Or, if those who currently want a second referendum win, would we actually get a second one, or would they simply reverse BREXIT? (and be taken to High/Supreme Court).

And will whoever loses claim those who voted for the winners didn't understand the issues and there should be yet another General Election?

• Like Like x 4
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                                Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
                              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                                Ratings:
                                +117,308
                                I agree that she has called the election to try and shut up all the nay sayers. The other point is that, assuming she wins, she will not need to call the next election until 2022. This will give her extra time to carry through her policies on Brexit after we leave in 2019.

I've always thought that an election shortly after we finally leave the EU was a ridiculous thing to have. She's being very clever - if she wins.

• Agree Agree x 6
                                • Like Like x 2