Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Lyn, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    Looks like Allied carpets might be the next big retailer to close at least some of it's shops.
    Where is it going to end.
    Everyone will be out of work at this rate :(

2. Sam1974x

Sam1974x Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Lyn, I think here in the midlands more local shops are shutting up aswell.

The road our office is on was booming last year. This year we have seen the estate agents next door close, about 4 others up the road close and even the printers and a baby clothes shop has gone.

Our road is ending up like a bit of a ghost town !

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    What makes me so mad is that it was all so predictable. Every major recession of the last 100 years has had the same cause - interest rates set too low for such a long period of time that it encouraged people to overborrow and overinvest, and the economy to overheat. Although a major cause was the American interest rate policy, we had our own boom including housing, that was totally home grown and presided over by Gordon Brown as chancellor - who has consistantly lied about it being a surprise caused by outside forces.

Warren Buffet, who alternates with Bill Gates as the richest man in the world wrote about. In his autobiography, written before the crash, he devoted a whole section to the, then, current boom and the crash that would follow.

Every boom in history has been followed by a bust -1929 on Wall street, 1974 in the UK and the West and 1990 in Japan. Unfortunately the bigger the boom the bigger the bust. And our boom was very very big.

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Well, maybe it's a "swings and roundabouts" thing. I live in a "posh" area. We've got a Tesco Metro but other than that it's Waitrose and M&S. I do get fed up with having to re-mortgage to buy a loaf of bread.:) Where our Woolworths was is now going to be a 99p store. It's upset the snobs but it's great for us peasants and maybe the guys who lost their jobs can get jobs there.:wink: It's like financial/business evolution, survival of the fittest. Before anyone starts whingeing about not knowing what it's like to be thrown out of a job, I've been made redundant 3 times. I know:wink:

5. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
    Cajary I do agree.
    The same thing is happening here.
    Woolworths closed and they say it will be either be Home Bargains or Primark.
    The locals are up in arms ,they have only just got over the shock of a pound shop.
    Which I might add is always full.
    It's the cleanest tidiest pound shop I have ever been in. :lollol:
    I do feel very sorry for anyone out of work that wants to work .
    It must be a terrible worry.
    The way things are going we could be next.:(
    But if I or my Husband didn't have work I would take a job in Primark the pound shop or anywhere else.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Same here, the more expensive shops are losing money hand over fist, we now have a thriving little discount food store, Ethel Austins and poundshop-all packed and the M&S and Sainsburys look like a graveyards in comparison.

We'll get through it though-if only because there is no other option.

7. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    A lot of shops have closed down were i live, woolworths, great shop called Allans that sold collectibles and cards for generations, marks and spencer food court, all we seem to be having is a load of second hand shops opening its ridiculous

8. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
    Our charity shops are almost empty.
    No-one is getting rid of anything.
    Or they are selling it on ebay or at car boot sales.
    I have noticed a few second hand furniture shops opening on my travels.