Another potato Question (Help)

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by steve75, Mar 16, 2009.

1. steve75

steve75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am pretty new to the world of growing veg. I am looking to have a go with potatoes this year i have a spot near the greenhouse it is a raised bed of about 6ftX6ft and 2ft deep where I intend to grow. Unfortunately i have no idea on what types to go for or how many tubers to put into the bed can you give me a little guidance. I remember the days as a kid digging up potatoes with my Granddad and how good they tasted.

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Make trenchs about 2ft apart and 3 inches deep and drop the seedies in about 1ft apart. Always works for me. If you haven't filled the raised beds already, dont fill them right up. The trick to getting a high yield from tatties is to keep banking up the soil as the plants grow, so there's never more than about 8 inches of each plant showing. Let them go about 2 weeks before harvest time. Keep the soil fairly loose so you can get your hand in without upset the plants too much, and as they approach harvest time, pick just a few tatties off each plant as needed, without disturbing the rest of the plant. That way the ones you leave will continue to grow. When the topside growth is past its best, dig out any remaining tatties. Be sure to burn the finished plants to minimise the risk of blight.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I suggest you grow First Early or Second Early (or both!) Main Crop potaotes come along alter and more chance of blight, and home grown potatoes are best, IMHO, cooked as New Potatoes, rather than "Stored for the Winter" :)

4. steve75

steve75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Well today i picked up a couple of bags of 10 maris peer seed potatoes from pound land, i understand these are a second early. The bed is already full of soil but it is possible to remove some so i can bank up as the plants grow. The seeds i got seem to have some good shoots allready so will they be ok to plant this weekend? is the 6x6 bed enough room for 20 plants or am i better of planting say 15 and planting the others elsewhere. the soil in the bed is very loose so there should be no problem with getting a couple of tatties of each plant without disturbance.

5. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    They always say here you should plant spuds on Saint Patrick's day. i can't see why you want to remove soil from your bed. Just scoop it up from either side of the plant as it grows. I reckon you could put them all in. I used to grow potatoes and loved them. Just harvest when the flowers die back. they are so easy and forgiving. You can't fail. Just make sure you water them well as I imagine the ground will get pretty dry in a raised bed

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hmmm. St Patrick didn't really help during the great potato blight outbreak that forced many Irish folks to leave home for a new life in America. I'm not sure I'd trust him. Bit of a disaster happened on his watch to my mind.

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It depends on your location when you should plant, growers near the coast in Cornwall can get away with planting first earlies in January - in East Yorkshire we used to wait until Easter to plant.

8. moleygm

moleygm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to jump in on your thread, but ive just got one question as every other has been answered on this thread:gnthb:
    It may sound daft but i am a gardening virgin... do you plant the potatoes seed side up or down??

Many thanks
    Gary
    PS more questions will follow