Another "what's this"?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by xantia, Aug 29, 2017.

1. xantia

xantia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi again everyone. It's another identification question I'm afraid but this time it's a weed not a flower I think. It grows everywhere no matter much I pull it up! Any ideas as to what it is and how to stop it??
    Thanks again
    John

Attached Files:

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Mare's Tail. Equisetum sp. When you got it, you got it. Nothing much can kill it and the roots go down forever. I followed one down over 3 metres in our previous garden.
    Try bruising the 'leaves' and stems with a stick then spray with Roundup type weedkiller.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • xantia

xantia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Thanks that's really helpful. I suspected it may be a little difficult to get rid of as it's so prolific! Great advice thank you.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +9,232
        Another important thing - don't compost what you pull out. It can re-grow from each segment.

If you are persistent, and patient, you can stop its spread, and even "push it back". In the spring, when the young shoots are coming up, and the ground is soft... place your fingers on either side at the base of the asparagus-like shoot, and pull straight up. This will break it off below the ground. Repeat through the season, ideally when it is no more than 6-10" high. It does weaken the plant, and over a number of years, you will claim a little control back. (I don't do any weed killers, so had to find another way on a steep bank infested with this weed)

• Agree Agree x 3
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          Mares tail must be virtually impossible to completely remove . Best you can do is control it as suggested above. As Sian suggests , keep picking the shoots as they come through . This must weaken the plant . Also as Palustris , I have some coming through a tarmac pavement outside the house . I lightly crush it with my heel , then spray with glyphosate type weedkiller . This does keep it in control , but the little b*gg*r still keeps growing back :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +2,967
            By doing what Sian suggests I did manage to get rid of a tiny patch at our previous house, but it was tiny and it took over 5 years of removing every shoot which appeared on a daily basis.

• Like Like x 1