Ant Nematodes

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Monty33, Aug 19, 2023.

1. Monty33

Monty33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    My lawn is absolutely inundated with ants, both black and red in appearance with fresh ant hills everyday causing dead spots in the lawn no matter how quickly I rake them down! I'm at a loss to know what to try but have come across ant nematodes.

Does anyone have experience of these? If I target the ant nests solely will they just move elsewhere on the lawn? It's quite a sizeable lawn if I have to treat the entire space!

Any help appreciated, they crawl up my legs when we try eat at a table on the lawn!!!

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,894
    We have a lot of ants here and I've always found the ant-bait stations and gel top-up tubes to be very effective. With the proviso that they're the genuine insecticidal ones, not 'bio' or 'natural' :) The beauty of the bait stations is that you set them and forget them. They carry on working in any weather, any temperature and only need topping up once the gel is all gone.
    This link shows the sort of thing, but other makes are available. Just read the small print carefully to make sure they do contain an active ingredient. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ant-Killer...keywords=ants+trap&qid=1692460455&sr=8-6&th=1

3. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +46,223
    I find cornmeal sprinkled over the Ants nest will do the trick, they eat it and it swells up and kills them.
    One other thing is that we don't eat outside.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,380
      Ants have never bothered us whatsoever and we eat most of our meals outside. I think they could possibly become an issue if you were sitting on the ground in traditional picnic fashion, but we eat seated at a table so never an issue.

We too have lots of ants in our lawns, paths and borders and although they can make the lawns look a bit of a sight at times, we just regularly brush over their nests with a stiff yard brush. They don't really cause any harm and any bald or gappy bits soon pick up . Lawns are amazingly resilient.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1